#3 Is A Single Cut

ScottR

Man this rocks. Good to see ole bear makin an appearance.

The finish came out brilliant. I have to admit to being wrong about changing the black hardware for chrome, as it seems to keep everything toned back enouge to realy let the top take centre stage here. Its not often I see something & think "man, I wish I had built that"

Now go have a beer with bear. I rekon you deserve one :D

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scott,

In the words of Inspector Gadget "wowzers!!!"

I love everything about it mate, and i reckon the black hardware looks really good. Your sig is a really good little addition aswell. So, If i see it in the GOTM thread it will be getting a vote from me!

Chad.

P.S give ol' bear a tummy rub for me :D

Man this rocks. Good to see ole bear makin an appearance.

The finish came out brilliant. I have to admit to being wrong about changing the black hardware for chrome, as it seems to keep everything toned back enouge to realy let the top take centre stage here. Its not often I see something & think "man, I wish I had built that"

Now go have a beer with bear. I rekon you deserve one :D

High praise indeed Paulie. Thank you. Bear and I did hoist one....or six.

Thank you all for your kind words and input. Wez, thanks for putting up that photoshopped piece. I like the black even better now. :D

Amiee, I'm afraid I can't find the pic of the pickup that's bothering you, but rest assured there's no rust on them. Probably plenty of finger prints though. I'll wipe them off as soon as I get home.

RAD, all your input thoughout the build was much appreciated and I love the way the pups sound. The link to the audio should be ready shortly, and you guys can judge that for yourselves. And you and Osorio are spot on: it is harder to take decent pictures.

Chad, consider ol' bear's tummy rubbed. I told him it was from you!

SR

Here are the audio links:

Track 1:

Rhythm: Blues Junior Combo

Lead: Blues Junior Combo

Mic: Beyer Dynamic M-160

Preamp: Daking

http://www.skullsessions.com/audio/riffle/01%20Riffle%20-%20Slow%20Blues.mp3

Track 2:

Rhythm: 1977 Marshall JMP 50

Lead: First edition Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier

Cab: 1977 Marshall 1960a (original 25watt celestions)

Mic: Beyer Dynamic M-160

Preamp: Daking

http://www.skullsessions.com/audio/riffle/02%20Riffle%20-%20Funky%20Blues.mp3

Note: Drums were not live. We just picked pre-recorded drum loops and let them fly.

We spent no time in mic placement…just dropped it in front of the amps and pushed the red button.

After laying down basic rhythm tracks and looping them, Joel did a single pass on each track for lead guitar. (He would appreciated that disclaimer, as he’s actually a much better player than this might reflect!)

Guitars recorded clean…delay and chorus added after the fact.

(note from Hook)

Personally I hope to be able to play that well when I grow up.

SR

Had fun hangin' on Saturday and getting these sounds down with Scott and Joel.

If you listen (not so closely) at the end of the slow blues track, you can hear that nutso buzz that we couldn't seem to get rid of on the single coils.

Scott has this thing strung up with 9's...so it feels super slinky!

Joel usually plays with 10's, and he overbent in several spots.

I know how he feels...I'm a pretty heavy-handed rhythm player, and I'm used to 11's. Some of my guitars even have 12's, so when I play this thing it's a little too easy! The action on this guitar is amazingly low, and the 9's make it feel like butta! Overall, a pretty amazing piece of work. To me, it FEELS like a very high-end PRS....very cool setup.

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the neck on this one.

Wez, thanks for putting up that photoshopped piece. I like the black even better now. :D

then at least my input/meddling was helpful B)

Absolutely! I value your opinion greatly. I've been taking advantage of your expertise wherever I find it.

Beyond that all opinions and input or criticisms are welcome here. The more viewpoints I'm exposed to the more I learn.

......cool, your next post showed up under this response box. I hadn't seen that happen before.

So yeah that shot in the direct sun was pretty harsh on the pups. :D I was paying more attention to the wood color in that lighting and didn't notice.

SR

Edited by ScottR

It´s beautiful Scott. And that guy´s playing is top notch, it brings out the guitar´s personality.

Thanks Joe, and Paulie.

It may be ho-hum old hat to a bunch of you guys, but the recording of that was a real treat for me. I've been around a couple of times while Hook was recording, but this went so fast and smoothly, not to mention it was totally impromtu, with a guitar still getting tweeked and an amp I got off of craig's list a couple of hours earlier, it was amazing to me. Let me see if I can capture it:

Joel picks up the guitar and starts noodling on it. "What kind of music shall we play?"

Me: Some of it's got to be blues.

Joel: We can do that.

Hook: Let me pull up a rhythm track.

Joel: You got anything slower than that......slower......slower......you got anything slower than that? OK

They go into the sound room and mike up. Joel plays some rhythm for a couple of minutes.

Hook: You gonna put a change in there or just keep playing those two chords?

Joel: It's coming...

Plays for a couple of minutes more.

Hook: Ok let me loop that and you can play a lead over it.......ok.

Joel plays for three or four more minutes.

Hook: Ok that's good.

Me (giddy): I can't believe that sound is coming out of my guitar and amp! Did he just make that up while I'm sitting here?

Hook: Yeah.......Ok let's try something a little harder through one of these other amps.....

And that was pretty much it. Hook picked start and stop points and added a couple of the things he mentioned but it was one take- that fast and good to go. Joel probably feels like it sounded like one take to him, but it sounds great to me. I love it.

SR

Edited by ScottR

Why, thank you very much Mike and Henri, I'm glad you like it. I've been enjoying yours as well Henri. There's way too much ingenuity going on over at your place for that build to turn out anything but great. And I see that You've got something in the works too, Mike. Take your time and keep us posted, the build threads are almost as much fun as the build itself.

Cheers,

Scott

• 1 year later...

So, two and a half years later........I got this singlecut and the F-hole (Leroy and BBR as it were) a present. A new friend to play with as it were. This is a Catagory 5 amp, model Ivan. 20 watts, two channels with completely separate circuitry, it's basically two amps in one cabinet.

IMG_2186.jpg

IMG_2194.jpg

IMG_2195.jpg

I had this one built with Jenson neos, one 10" and one 12" on the recomendation of Don Ritter at Cat5 who told me that was his favorite combination.

IMG_2198.jpg

A few days after this arrived I took it and these two guitars over to Hook's studio. He brought in the guitarist and bass player from a local blues band and his band's drummer and the gave everything a test drive. it was basically a jam session, so I can't really point what channels or settings were used on which track.....only which guitar. These were from this one, the single cut.

http://http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=12063502&q=hi&newref=1

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=12063503&q=hi&newref=1

These appear to all be through the bridge pick-up, whis is a shame, because that neck pup is sweet!

SR