#3 Is A Single Cut

ScottR

Scottttttty,this build is nice.If or when I do another build ,it will be in the les paul style.everything in this build is going together like a fine suit.Look forward to seeing it finished.

Ron

Thanks Deano. (Ron?) There is something about the shape of a Les Paul that just looks "right". I tried to make subtle changes to the classic LP shape without losing that "rightness".

SR

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Scott. Lookin good, Love the top on this thing. How are you gona carve it? PRS style, or some variation of your own ?

I think its way too thick for just a PRS type job. You have to go to town on that.

This is the single cut Walnut top gitar iv been trying to build myself for god knows how long. Was almost there untill I saw your figuring on that top. Just had to stain it then :D

Anyway. keep it comin, this should be seriously cool when its done

Hey Paulie.I like smooth flowing curves, so the carve might remind one of a PRS I suppose. Definitely a bigger deeper carve. Of course it may tell me it wants be be something else entirely....carves do that sometimes you know. It is getting an extensive contouring on the back, so it probably won't look too much like anything else, except mine.

That single cut you're working is really cool. It's got a real old world vibe going. You are going to have to finish it one day.

SR

Hey Paulie.I like smooth flowing curves, so the carve might remind one of a PRS I suppose. Definitely a bigger deeper carve. Of course it may tell me it wants be be something else entirely....carves do that sometimes you know. It is getting an extensive contouring on the back, so it probably won't look too much like anything else, except mine.

That single cut you're working is really cool. It's got a real old world vibe going. You are going to have to finish it one day.

SR

I know what you mean. Sometimes you will be carving one & it gives you a funny vibe, its like its sayin "I dont want to be cut like that" then it takes over & you end up with something totally different to what you originally started out for.

What kind of finish are you gona give it ?

As for the single cut Im doing. Im kinda torn between brand new lookin, or just the tinyest bit of wear. buff thru the finish just where my arm would rest. Iv already slightly beaten up the neck but the chick likes it as it is. but then she also loves my SRV so she cant decide either.

No way im starting a Relic or dont Relic poll.

So... YOU DECIDE !! :D

This is going to get a clear nitro on the body and danish oil on the neck. I'm toying with the idea of ever so slightly airbrushing a black dye fade along the edges of the top to delinieate the edge and pull the eye to the center, very, very subtly mind you. And I've already gotten one "bad idea" to that concept. If I end up rounding the edges a little that idea will get canned. It may anyway, I don't know yet...I'm waiting for it to tell me.

I don't get relicing. I do get creating a replica of an icon, like you did with your SRV. Excellent, excellent execution on that (which certainly helped it beat mine in the GOTM if I remember correctly). I guess I feel like a guitar ought to earn it's battle scars. To me your SC looks old world because of the sort of German carve you've given it and the colors you've given it. It makes me think of whiskey and cigar smoke.

SR

Hmmmm. with the top on yours, i think id stay away from a stain. Im no stranger to staining Walnut, it takes black realy well as an exagerator for the grain & cherry looks amazing on it under a gloss coat. but I think yout figuring does not warrent any additional colour. Maby a bit of binding & purfling.Even just cream abs or cellulose binding with a black & white 1mm pinstripe purfling.

My "Skinny Les" single cut has a poly top with an oiled neck & back, plays realy nice. so your finish is spot on as far as im concerned.

Will it have chrome hardware ? what about the pickups. I rekon nickle would be a little less brash, Chrome can have a very bright snap to it. I duno. iv been painting all day & i rekon the fumes got me a little so probly best to get out of here into the air for a bit :D:D

Hmmmm. with the top on yours, i think id stay away from a stain. Im no stranger to staining Walnut, it takes black realy well as an exagerator for the grain & cherry looks amazing on it under a gloss coat. but I think yout figuring does not warrent any additional colour. Maby a bit of binding & purfling.Even just cream abs or cellulose binding with a black & white 1mm pinstripe purfling.

My "Skinny Les" single cut has a poly top with an oiled neck & back, plays realy nice. so your finish is spot on as far as im concerned.

Will it have chrome hardware ? what about the pickups. I rekon nickle would be a little less brash, Chrome can have a very bright snap to it. I duno. iv been painting all day & i rekon the fumes got me a little so probly best to get out of here into the air for a bit :D:D

Well that's two votes against any black edge fading, both from builders I greatly respect. Hmmmmm. The plan was always for it to be so subtle as to not be obvious unless you're looking for it. Maybe I'll post up the test piece when I get to that point.....assuming I like the test myself of course.

All the hardware is black Paulie, with the exception of the frets and the shaft of the three way switch. The pickups are a set of P-90s made by RAD with black covers. I cannot wait to hear them! Gonna be a pretty dark guitar.

SR

Edited by ScottR

Well that's two votes against any black edge fading, both from builders I greatly respect. Hmmmmm. The plan was always for it to be so subtle as to not be obvious unless you're looking for it. Maybe I'll post up the test piece when I get to that point.....assuming I like the test myself of course.

I like the idea of a black burst around the edges, so long as it goes over the sides onto the back like a Firebird.

I like the idea of a black burst around the edges, so long as it goes over the sides onto the back like a Firebird.

Well, you may not like what I'm picturing then. What's in my head would start at the top edge of the top at the rabbit. The 3/8" edge would be natural like a faux binding. It would be very minimal and subtle, just enough create a difference between the face of the walnut and the side. It would not extend very far into the face at all and would be very transparent. And if I don't like it, it won't happen.

SR

Edited by ScottR

Hey Scott,

This guitar is looking fantastic mate! As far as the black edging goes, is the mahog getting any colour or is it all natural? I know what you mean about softening the line between top and bottom, they're quite different colours. If it was me and i think this is what you mean, i would think about a very subtle black burst on the top only, leaving a faux binding of the natural top colour around the edge. I think this would give attention to the centre of the top and soften the edge.

Oh and it was your fretbender i saw that made me build one. :D

Chad.

Hey Scott,

This guitar is looking fantastic mate! As far as the black edging goes, is the mahog getting any colour or is it all natural? I know what you mean about softening the line between top and bottom, they're quite different colours. If it was me and i think this is what you mean, i would think about a very subtle black burst on the top only, leaving a faux binding of the natural top colour around the edge. I think this would give attention to the centre of the top and soften the edge.

Chad.

You've got it exactly! Everything will remain natural except and unless I do a subtle fade/burst as you described it. The trick will be to see if it even would show up, because this top changes color drastically with the addition of a finish. And actually it was your last build that is making me even consider this. What you did with that teak top blew me away.

And that fretbender was amazingly easy wasn't it?

SR

Hey Scott,

Chad.

You've got it exactly! Everything will remain natural except and unless I do a subtle fade/burst as you described it. The trick will be to see if it even would show up, because this top changes color drastically with the addition of a finish. And actually it was your last build that is making me even consider this. What you did with that teak top blew me away.

And that fretbender was amazingly easy wasn't it?

SR

Mate it was too easy. $10 and 15mins is all it took. I've just finished fretting the necks and it is the best job ive ever done.

The finish sounds great, the subtle burst on that last guitar was deceiving. It didn't look like any burst and then a coat with the shellac to seal it and there it was. It will soften the edge because the top's edge will look darker than the faux binding and then lighter again when the mahog starts. It will look great!

Chad.

The pickups are a set of P-90s made by RAD with black covers. I cannot wait to hear them! Gonna be a pretty dark guitar.

SR

Hmmmm. I must hit him up for a set of buckers, out of phase to each other. real screamers.

Anyway, MORE PIKS PLEASE !!!!!!!!

The pickups are a set of P-90s made by RAD with black covers. I cannot wait to hear them! Gonna be a pretty dark guitar.

Hmmmm. I must hit him up for a set of buckers, out of phase to each other. real screamers.

Scott: I have three sets of pups from RAD. They're all a$$-kickers. I'm positive you won't be disappointed.

PAUL: Yes, DO hit him up. You won't be wasting your money.

Scott: I have three sets of pups from RAD. They're all a$$-kickers. I'm positive you won't be disappointed.

PAUL: Yes, DO hit him up. You won't be wasting your money.

You've had nothing but high praise for his pick-ups for quite a while now, John and you haven't been alone in that point of view. I've been paying attention. :D

I also agree with his theory of what sounds good as he explains on his web site. Plus, RAD's a class act to deal with. I have no doubt I'm going to love these.

No pressure Brett. :D

SR

My neighbor wandered by while I was doing this. he though I was going to leave it like this. He thought it looked like alligator hide. Does anybody else work in full view of the neighborhood?

IMG_1150.jpg

IMG_1149.jpg

That's a carved top.

It's in the process of being a sanded carved top now.....

SR

yeah, i almost like it - but not enough to make me want to stop you from finishing teh carve

I have some RAD pups - awsesome, well built, compete with the top end stuff i am used to!!! cant say better than that

yeah, i almost like it - but not enough to make me want to stop you from finishing teh carve

I have some RAD pups - awsesome, well built, compete with the top end stuff i am used to!!! cant say better than that

Good, because it's well beyond that stage already...

RAD's going to be famous for his pups before long!

SR

One thing to remember about doing a deep carve is you get further away from the bookmatched surface the deeper you carve. I knew what to expect and so was not bothered by it.

Top in the middle of sanding with 150.

IMG_1152.jpg

IMG_1155.jpg

Carving the neck join is next.

SR

Edited by ScottR

I see it Scott, no problem here...and I love it! I can´t wait for the finish on it to bring out the grain. How much will you carve the neck joint? I´ve been watching threads over at MLP and I´m really into the Axecess joint, although it does look very "modern", so yours might be more subtle to match the classiness of the rest.

Thanks Joe. The neck will just melt into the body with a very smooth transition. It will be very similar to the Hook Custom. http://i445.photobucket.com/albums/qq180/doodoo4u2/The%20Guitar/DSC00549.jpg

and here

only matched to this back.

SR