#3 Is A Single Cut

ScottR

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys. :D

Maybe I can get some opinions?

In making the scoop in the cut out, so far I've got the edges rounded a bit. I'm going to increase the scooped area some still, but I'm not sure I like the way the rounded edges look. They sure feel good, but all the other edges on the top are pretty hard so I think the round edge looks out of place.

SR

Thanks guys. :D

Maybe I can get some opinions?

In making the scoop in the cut out, so far I've got the edges rounded a bit. I'm going to increase the scooped area some still, but I'm not sure I like the way the rounded edges look. They sure feel good, but all the other edges on the top are pretty hard so I think the round edge looks out of place.

SR

IMHO - Don't mix and match (generally speaking). Always try to carry themes throughout the guitar.

As for edges in particular it is easy to round them after. It is hard to make them sharp again... so start sharp.

So Joe, here is a rough carved neck join.

IMG_1156.jpg

Next I made a cavity cover out of left over claro walnut. Unless I change my design, I sacrificed my leftover top. I located screw holes and used tooth picks to hold the cover in place while I contoured the back. I need to know how much is going to get cut away before I countersink the screws.

IMG_1158.jpg

Once the back is shaped I can counter sink the screw holes. I have learned not to use countersink type screws. They tend to split the thin wood cover when tightened. This time I used a forstner bit and made a flat bottomed counter sink to use with pan head screws.

IMG_1159.jpg

IMG_1169.jpg

IMG_1167.jpg

SR

I thought I was going to be creative and use a drawer pull knob with sandpaper on the face and chuck it into the drill to scoop out the control knob divots. But no....I couldn't get the sandpaper to stay long enough to do any work. So I went back to my old trusty spoon shaped carving tools.

IMG_1160.jpg

Added a jack hole.

IMG_1161.jpg

Finished carving the scoop on the cutaway and contoured it into the neck join.

IMG_1162.jpg

IMG_1163.jpg

IMG_1170.jpg

SR

Looking absolutely stellar .

You sure know how to make that wood bend to your will ! :P

Thanks Mike. That claro walnut is turning out to be very friendly to work with...hardly any coercion needed.

That's rocking SR! Loving your carving, i bet it feels all nice and cuddly in a playing position.

BTW i want your hat!

Chad.

Hey Chad, yeah cuddly is a good word for it. I think the part I like the best is where the neck join ties into the scoop on the treble cut away. It's hard to see in the pics but the contours follow the shape of my hand just right and my thumb fits nicely into the contour on the other side.

As for the hat, it's a life saver in the afternoons. My work space stares into the afternoon sun. Drop on by and we'll take a trip into the Texas hill country and pick you up one.

Lookin realy good Scott.

Nice to see somebody else carving the hell out of the back. With the cut you have there this thing should sit realy nice against the player. Realy good grain aswell, God I hate you B)

:DB):D

Paulie, I think you are the only other builder I know that appreciates the carving of the back as much as I do. I know some guys that say it just doesn't feel right unless it's a flat slab....but I don't get that. A carved back feels better.....and looks cool too. IMHO.

And I knew it but RAD was right. Pick a theme and hold to it through out the whole design. I think the theme for this one is long sinuous curves and defined edges. I will knock the sharpness off of the edges, but no round overs.

SR

I will knock the sharpness off of the edges, but no round overs.

SR

Have to agree with you there. Just take the sharpness off the edge & leav it. Makes a nice contrast to the curves & is a nod to the typical edge you would get if this were slab backed. There is an edge along part of the carve on the back of mine, starts out as a round over then sharpens up.

I used to think it was prety cool, but you have kinda bitch slapped my single cut with the ugly stick with this one :D:D

lookin good; lovin that walnut

Hey Grant, I thought you disappeared on us....till I saw that cool new build you've got going. Good to see you again.

SR

lol!

i guess i did!

this site keeps shutting down my posts, no explanation or anything, thought i would post my build, but they did it again!

i dunno what im doin to upset these guys soo much but im out, im sick of it; basically i come back to check out your builds!

your like the only guy with super luthier skills, that isnt on my facebook or on talkbass.

still lovin this; its comin out Amazing!!!!

grant

I will knock the sharpness off of the edges, but no round overs.

SR

Have to agree with you there. Just take the sharpness off the edge & leav it. Makes a nice contrast to the curves & is a nod to the typical edge you would get if this were slab backed. There is an edge along part of the carve on the back of mine, starts out as a round over then sharpens up.

I used to think it was prety cool, but you have kinda bitch slapped my single cut with the ugly stick with this one :D:D

B)

Well.....you can't let that stand. You're just going to have to make another!

SR

lookin good; lovin that walnut

Hey Grant, I thought you disappeared on us....till I saw that cool new build you've got going. Good to see you again.

SR

lol!

i guess i did!

this site keeps shutting down my posts, no explanation or anything, thought i would post my build, but they did it again!

i dunno what im doin to upset these guys soo much but im out, im sick of it; basically i come back to check out your builds!

your like the only guy with super luthier skills, that isnt on my facebook or on talkbass.

still lovin this; its comin out Amazing!!!!

grant

Those are very kind words sir. I don't claim super luthier skills, other than knowing where the parts go and how they fit together. I probably do a pretty okay job of shaping wood.

I can't imagine why your SG build is locked. I went back and looked and can't see anything remotely controversial in it. Must be a case of mistaken identity. If it's not a mistake it's a shame, as there are some serious skills on display in there as well as in your past builds. Talk about creativity with wood!

Hopefully it will get fixed.

SR

I did a test fit before I started pore filling. I didn't spend any time adjusting pickup height (obviously); I just located mounting holes and got them threaded and so forth. I guess this is the first pictorial proof that i actually received those P-90s that RAD has gotten. :D

IMG_1179.jpg

IMG_1180.jpg

IMG_1181.jpg

IMG_1182.jpg

SR

I rekon that hardware is toning this one down a bit too much. Id be tempted to swap those saddles out for Chrome & polish the tops of the vol, tone knobs to put some snap back onto it. Although it may look totally different when the finish on the front is done :D so I duno.

Holy crap, Scott!

This one's a beauty, for sure. I STILL think the top is too dark.

But the lines and overall shape of this one is killer. Pickups look sweet.

Pretty stealthy looking unit.

Mind you, none of the "problems" I've mentioned will stop me for one second lookin' cool as hell on stage with it. (hint...hint).

It's so cool to have a guy with skills like this just 10 minutes away.

I rekon that hardware is toning this one down a bit too much. Id be tempted to swap those saddles out for Chrome & polish the tops of the vol, tone knobs to put some snap back onto it. Although it may look totally different when the finish on the front is done :D so I duno.

Polishing the tops of the knobs is a good idea; I did not expect them to be so matte when I bought them. I'm not sure where I'd get the chrome saddles to fit short of buying another bridge and swapping them out. The top will be very glossy though, so we'll wait and see how things look, before adjusting anything.

SR

I don't mind the darker hardware.... but that is why I asked if it was wet. The top is dark.

You are going to clear it with shiny stuff right?

That cut away looks right now. The sharper edge did the trick.

The top is just polished up through the micro mesh grits....quickly, not thouroughly, as I wanted to see how much the figure was going to move and shimmer. But it is dry. It changes a lot when wet. The darks are much darker and the lights are brighter and colors deeper and more intense. Claro looks pretty dull until finished...I can't wait to see how much Simo's changes. This is crotch wood, so there is a lot of end grain in the top and that gets real dark. And real deep looking. The figure looks like light dancing on the surface of a pool of water. Overall, it looks like wrinkled up crushed velvet.

And yeah, it will get a thick coat of nitro and a thourough buffing.

SR

Holy crap, Scott!

Mind you, none of the "problems" I've mentioned will stop me for one second lookin' cool as hell on stage with it. (hint...hint).

It's okay if you still think it's too dark.....'cause it's mine! :D

You might very well want to borrow this one for a show or recording. Even though I haven't heard it yet, I know you don't have one that sounds like it in that collection of yours. A P-90 tone would go nicely with you guys' sound.

SR

Holy crap, Scott!

It's okay if you still think it's too dark.....'cause it's mine! :D

You might very well want to borrow this one for a show or recording. Even though I haven't heard it yet, I know you don't have one that sounds like it in that collection of yours. A P-90 tone would go nicely with you guys' sound.

SR

Yea yea, but is it gonna STAY yours ? I start loads of build for myself that end up in other hands.

Hey Skullsession !! wave $3000 under his nose & see what happens, Id bet you own it in a heart beat :D

Iv lost so many of my own builds that way B) it realy is a very odd phenominon (how the hell do you spell that ? whers my dictionary?)