Painting Question: painting racing stripes...

los5o7

Hi, I'm new to the boards, and am looking for some advice, or suggestions on how to go about putting a racing stripe down the top of this guitar that i'm refinishing, I have the base coat finished, it's a vintage cream color and the racing stripe that I want to apply is a wine red color w/ an additional stipe down the center of it... would anyone be able to tell me the best way to do this?

here's what I got sofar....

front7.jpg

any assistance would be greatly appreciated...

thanks in advance!

Tape off the sides of ur stripes leavin the part u want to paint uncovered make sure u cover the rest of the body you dont want painted with paper or sumthing, im not totally sure but i think you put once coat of clear down first then do the stripes then more clear im not totally sure tho, best place to check is with a car painter theyll b able to help you out alot

MzI

best place to check is with a car painter theyll b able to help you out alot

MzI

yeah, god forbid you ask a guitar painter :D

Be sure and use the 3M fine line green masking tape to mask off your lines, it will give you the crispest edge. If your creme color is rough, you might want to put a coat or two of clear over it and sand it smooth first, if it's pretty smooth, and you know you have good adhesion of your creme, tape right on that paint. Mask off all surrounding area's as was already mentioned and spray your red. You want to pull the tape off before the red is fully cured for the smoothest edge, if you wait until it's totally dry, just run an exacto blade against the tape edge first so the tape doesn't lift any of your freshly sprayed red.

Then do pinstriping if you want, or just proceed to clear, build up your clear until it's thick enough you can sand out your masking edge, then final clear and polish.

heres a trick a buddy of mine who works in an auto paint place told me long ago

first mask off the area with tape where you want the stripe to be...the exact width and length....then put masking tape to the right and the left of that....then peal off the center tape piece....and you get a perfectly straight stripe...the 2 side pieces of tape form your borders...prepare your surface...then paint away