Towner - Bigsby Vibrato Retrofit Kit - Protecting Gibson Guitars From

Christian J Towner

I have invented a kit that alleviated myself from drilling holes in the deck of my

Gibson ES-335 dot series guitar, in conjunction with a Bigsby B3 vibrato bar.

This challenge presented itself when I was up against the option to install the

Bigsby B7 vibrato bar.

During the development of my kit, I discovered the kit has the option of variable

string tensions per the height adjustment of the studs. Thus revealing another

option to CANT the kit, allowing it to rest evenly over the guitar strings, given that

the strings are of different thicknesses. The third revelation in the development

of my kit, I found the kit improved my guitar tone and tuning stability.

This kit can fit any Gibson guitar because the tailpiece hardware is the same in

all of Gibson and Gibson-like electric guitars. The kit mounts in place of of the

stop tailpiece with the existing studs & holes. Rested over the strings, and

applying the necessary down tension needed per the height adjustment of the

studs.

This kit can be adjusted to whatever height you want and or need to

accommodate the action of your strings & bridge height. The CANT, per the

adjustment of the studs, provides an even amount of down tension over the

strings.

http://www.townerusa.com

towner.jpg

Edited by Christian J Towner

I have invented a kit that alleviates the guitar owner from drilling holes in the body of the guitar when installing a Bigsby vibrato.

What about the 4-holes needed to mount the Bigsby B3 (that your system is designed for) to the body of the guitar?

i think you are misrepresting what you have here. It looks like a useful tool for controlling the string tension on the bridge when using a Bigsby B3 - why not just advertise it on that.

when you say something like the quote above i immediately think of something like the vibramate (http://www.vibramate.com/index.php) which does exactly what you claim!

I have invented a kit that alleviates the guitar owner from drilling holes in the body of the guitar when installing a Bigsby vibrato.

What about the 4-holes needed to mount the Bigsby B3 (that your system is designed for) to the body of the guitar?

i think you are misrepresting what you have here. It looks like a useful tool for controlling the string tension on the bridge when using a Bigsby B3 - why not just advertise it on that.

when you say something like the quote above i immediately think of something like the vibramate (http://www.vibramate.com/index.php) which does exactly what you claim!

Thanks WezV,

Installing just a B3 does not work well without my kit. That's why, traditionally, they have installed a B7. The B7 has a down tension bar on it where two screws have to be drilled into the deck.

Also, if you had installed just the B3 there would be not enough down tension on the strings to keep the strings on the bridge. Yes, you still have two put 4 screws around the button screw and

vibramate has accommodated that with their own button plate you can purchase and you'll have to use the B5, I think, if you can't get the button plate separately. My kit relieves the guitar from

having two empty holes and gives the option to use the traditional B3 or B60.

BTW,

I know the guys at vibramate and they make good products. You, the customer, should know all their options and make the best decision for yourself.

-Christian

My kit relieves the guitar from having two empty holes and gives the option to use the traditional B3 or B60.

this much is true, and the fact you can control the string tension does make it useful for retro fitting B3 style bigsby's and provide some real benefit's - that is how you should advertise it!

You, the customer, should know all their options and make the best decision for yourself.

thats is just it, i do know the options for screw free bigsby installations.

simply put

no you have not!

To fit a bigsby B3 i would need to drill 4 holes in the end of the body - this is exactly the same number of holes i would need to drill whether i used your system or not. as you point out, the only way to avoid drilling these 4 holes would be to purchase a vibramate product which can actually be described as

a kit that alleviates the guitar owner from drilling holes in the body of the guitar when installing a Bigsby vibrato

you have a potentially good product at a fairly reasonable price - sell it on its actual strengths!

I understand, my choice of words are used incorrectly because it's saying all screws in a Bigsby installation. I should say, have invented a kit that alleviates the guitar owner

from drilling holes in the "deck" of the guitar when installing a Bigsby vibrato. This is what motivated me to invent the kit. To keep from drilling those two extra holes in the deck.

My kit relieves the guitar from having two empty holes and gives the option to use the traditional B3 or B60.

this much is true, and the fact you can control the string tension does make it useful for retro fitting B3 style bigsby's and provide some real

benefit's - that is how you should advertise it!

You, the customer, should know all their options and make the best decision for yourself.

thats is just it, i do know the options for screw free bigsby installations.

simply put

no you have not!

To fit a bigsby B3 i would need to drill 4 holes in the end of the body - this is exactly the same number of holes i would need to drill whether i used your system or not. as you point out, the only way to avoid drilling these 4 holes would be to purchase a vibramate product which can actually be described as

a kit that alleviates the guitar owner from drilling holes in the body of the guitar when installing a Bigsby vibrato

you have a potentially good product at a fairly reasonable price - sell it on its actual strengths!

I understand, my choice of words are used incorrectly because it's saying all screws in a Bigsby installation. I should say, have invented a kit that alleviates the guitar owner

from drilling holes in the "deck" of the guitar when installing a Bigsby vibrato. This is what motivated me to invent the kit. To keep from drilling those two extra holes in the deck.

i noticed your website uses that terminology. I would still say its inaccurate since the bigsby B3 does not need 2 holes drilling in the top of the guitar, but in a round about way it gives you the choice of a B3 over a B7 which does need those 2 holes drilling :?

trying to be constructive here

Strengths:

1) Allows the use of a Bigsby B3 on guitars with stop tailpieces.

2) Nicely fills those stop tailpiece holes

3) Allows control of the string tension when using a B3 (that has always been my problem with B3's so this is a big plus point for me)...

4) which will improve tone and tuning stability

5) not going to significantly increase the price of buying a bigsby (the way a vibramate can!)

point 1 is a good one, i would have avoided and recommended avoiding a B3 at all costs before, so its nice to have a solution to their major flaw. That would have been for semi's and things like that. but I also think the B3 with your system will be a neater solution than a B7 for installation on a Les Paul style guitar.

n504707030_667458_2915.jpg

if i was you i would show a comparison pic of a Les paul with B3 and your system next to one with a B7 - i bet most people would prefer the look of the B3. Certainly work well for gretsh guitars too which always look better with a B3 style

WezV

I really appreciate the constructive criticism, that is a valuable trait. Later on today I am going to sit with your comments and rewrite my approach.

Thank You

Christian

i noticed your website uses that terminology. I would still say its inaccurate since the bigsby B3 does not need 2 holes drilling in the top of the guitar, but in a round about way it gives you the choice of a B3 over a B7 which does need those 2 holes drilling :?

trying to be constructive here

Strengths:

1) Allows the use of a Bigsby B3 on guitars with stop tailpieces.

2) Nicely fills those stop tailpiece holes

3) Allows control of the string tension when using a B3 (that has always been my problem with B3's so this is a big plus point for me)...

4) which will improve tone and tuning stability

5) not going to significantly increase the price of buying a bigsby (the way a vibramate can!)

point 1 is a good one, i would have avoided and recommended avoiding a B3 at all costs before, so its nice to have a solution to their major flaw. That would have been for semi's and things like that. but I also think the B3 with your system will be a neater solution than a B7 for installation on a Les Paul style guitar.

n504707030_667458_2915.jpg

if i was you i would show a comparison pic of a Les paul with B3 and your system next to one with a B7 - i bet most people would prefer the look of the B3. Certainly work well for gretsh guitars too which always look better with a B3 style

here are a few more thoughts then

not only is a b3 with your system probably going to be a visual improvement over a B7 - you also have the adjustability of string tension which is not a feature of any bigsby's... just worth point out that last bit

i think you have enough potential real strengths there to not even worry about the screw thing!

i wouldnt normally recommend going down the "improved tone, tuning and sustain" route as it does tend to stink of marketing BS... but in this case i think its potentially true

A well set-up B7 or B5 does sound better, does sustain better and does stay in tune better than a B3 because of the extra downward tension on the bridge, however - its a fixed amount of downward tension which is often too much and means the strings hit the rear of the bridge or dont slide nicely over the saddles so those advantages can easily be lost... enter your system