Tutorial Possibilities For Upcoming Builds

Ok for the noobs... almost time to start up building season.

So outside of building pickups is there anything you guys would like to see covered more in depth on my builds?

Scarfs? Carving? Headstock angles? Neck Joints? Template making?

I am building a few 6 and 7 string Super Strats this year and at least one 8 string.

Just wanted to know... if not I will proceed as normal :D

Is the 'no pickup building' JUST for the noobs? Cause if so, then I- a non-noob- will take one order :D

lol

Chris

Come on now... pickup building is a black art. I had to sacrifice 13 no-name import pickups just to be allowed to own a winder. Wait till you see how much a 5 pound spool of good 42 PE costs. You think building guitars is an expensive hobby?

I can't tell you anything (heck if you ask 10 winders it is probably wrong anyway) :D . They might come to my house and take my wire...

Plus you have been after me for this for almost a year now... haven't you made some progress over at the pickup makers forum (where beatings and flames are dealt out daily)?

BTW - Lollar is selling his book again. It is a nice read and almost essential like Melvyn's book.

Scarfs and templates would of interest to me. I usually just do straight headstock and draw what I need on the wood for templates. The eight string build will be interesting. Where can you get 8 string bridges besides hipshit? preferably a floyd?

I do 2 types of scarfs so I will do that for you. I haven't documented a scarf in several builds.

Right now you have to build 8 string parts if you don't want to use Hipshot or Kahler. But I use Hipshot for everything because they are a good company with good products (Made in the US). Kahler makes a sweet 8 string tremolo that is lockable.

Most of the guys I have talked to who play 8 strings don't use tremolos because they play odd tunings all the time.

Oh, so you're chicken? (*jab jab, wink wink*) :D

Chris

Attack me with the Banana. (What about pointy sticks?)

Though we see it on several builds here - it might be nice to see more tutorial on headstock angle, that also included WHY.

Maybe I have built a few, but my understanding is that saddle height = nut slot height :D so why would you angle the headstock (that kind of thing)

Noted. I will try and do a write up on that coming up.

Though we see it on several builds here - it might be nice to see more tutorial on headstock angle, that also included WHY.

Maybe I have built a few, but my understanding is that saddle height = nut slot height B) so why would you angle the headstock (that kind of thing)

Finished 2 scarfs today. I will try and write up more stuff to go with them.

Watching your builds unfold is a lot like a "how-to" tute, complete with pictures and question-and-answer sessions with the poster.

in other words, your builds are awesome. B)

I can't think of any one thing... you already go into really good detail. :D

Tx. Nice to know people enjoy them.

^^Gonna have to agree with Souls, maybe take even more pics :D

I was thinking I take to many... I will see what I can do but they have to be relevant and I can't pickup the camera while I have glue all over my hands (or a router, or a rasp...).

On more than one occasion you have noted an intense distaste for the wasting of wood. Perhaps you could show us some of the methods you use to avoid that.

SR

Excellent idea. I will cover that in 2 upcoming builds. I am currently building a Korina/Myrtle/Cocobolo S9 and am just getting started on a Kaya/Flame Maple/Bloodwood S9 build. I am also working on a D5 (my destroyer style guitar) and the first S9 8 string prototype.

Next week I have a few more neck blanks to build. I will try and cover the many ways I try to save wood in the neck builds.

\m/

I will always need more information, tips and tricks on the black art of carving a neck profile :D Actually, everything about neck-making seems a major mystery to me :D

Read the latest build threads they will be covering necks in depth (time permitting)

I have already covered Scarfs, Neck blanks, and not wasting wood. Up next will be trussrods, profiling, fretboards, and eventually shaping.

I answered somebody the other day on carving.... can't remember where.... must be getting old.

I will always need more information, tips and tricks on the black art of carving a neck profile :D Actually, everything about neck-making seems a major mystery to me :D

Read the latest build threads they will be covering necks in depth (time permitting)

I have already covered Scarfs, Neck blanks, and not wasting wood. Up next will be trussrods, profiling, fretboards, and eventually shaping.

I answered somebody the other day on carving.... can't remember where.... must be getting old.

One other note. Perry covered neck shaping perfectly somewhere (in a video I think) search for rhoads56(???) and start digging.

how about fake binding?

fake binding when you use waterbased colourstain, not paint.

I still don't know how to avoid colour bleeding (masking tape won't work).

and yeah, scarf joint as well :D

cheers!!!

I don't do binding of any kind. You will have to ask one of the other guys...

Scarf joints are already covered.