Grizzly G8690 Vs Mini Lathe

verhoevenc

Hey guys, I'm looking to buy the Grizzly G8690. Sadly they no longer make it and there's one special thing this lathe had that I need that the newer version doesn't have. Therefore, I'm stuck with the task of sourcing a used one and can't seem to find any for sale for the life of me. I was hoping someone here might have one sitting in the dark corner of their shop that they might want to sell?

41Y4Z9G1TNL._SL500_.jpg

Thanks guys!

Chris

Any DC motor is reversible. That's not the issue. I'll throw a switch onto anything with a DC motor and reverse it. I want THIS lathe cause it's got a 0 RPM start and is variable speed. I know I could build in a variable speed on any DC motor too but it sure is nice to have it already there, built in, guaranteed to work out of the box. Also, the more I have to add the more time it takes to build that I don't want to spend on building the winder instead of doing windings. Also, each added thing adds more cost. Better to get it already included. Also, if I get a lathe and make a winder out of it with the counter and guide parts easily removable well then I also have a lathe available for knobs, etc.

I have this post on two guitar forums and some other places. Both guitar forums are giving me advice on what ELSE to use or asking "why a lathe." I'm not trying to be a dick... but I'm not really looking for advice. I have my reasons for taking this route and have done a LOT of research on the subject. I'm just tryna find one.

Thanks,

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

If you have a hard time finding one, how about one of those router speed control dials. Then the lathe is on a set speed, but the control will take you from zero to whatever. Combine it with a variable speed lathe and you can get any speed. Of course, a counter would be tough, you may have to use a tach for that.