Gluing Wood To Metal

I landed an aluminum neck not too long ago. My gut tells me that the best way to adhere the fretboard would be epoxy. Am I right, or is there a better option?

I would agree, epoxy is your best bet, but just make sure you sand the mating surface of the neck with 320 grit paper to give it a key to bond to :D

Epoxy is a good choice. Polyurethane glues such as Gorilla Glue are supposed to be good for joining non-wood materials to wood as well, but I don't have much experience with it. I know it is not a traditional choice and have no idea how it would hold up, but I wonder how something like Liquid Nails construction adhesive would work?

Just for the sake of an alternative, I have glued wood and metal together half a dozen time in the making of filet knives out anold bandsaw blade. I scuffed the surfaces to be mated with 60 grit and used medium CA. I clamped them up with good pressure just like a wood joint. The one time I had to take one apart, I had to use a chisel and there was a ton of wood left adhered to the metal when it came apart.

However....

John did ask for the best method and I'd still consider that to be epoxy. It needs to be able to flex a little without cracking.

SR

I agree on the epoxy.

I've heard a few times that rubbing the metal with a slice (not a whole clove) of garlic will help out. The oil apparently reacts with the metal and makes it less smooth. I've never tried it, but it's worth experimenting with.