Tuning Keys

Dan71

Ok here is another question. Staggard tuning keys. Which strings need the shorter posts? I had one squire strat back in the 80's but I bought it used and it had a Kahler locking trem on it so I never had a use for the string tree. The replacement neck I have has no string tree and I was considering buying staggard tuning keys. the site I saw them at said you use the shorter posts for the A and E (high E). When I look at pics of Fender headstocks I see string trees for the C,G and B,E strings...sometimes just the B and E. I'm confused.

Ok here is another question. Staggard tuning keys. Which strings need the shorter posts? I had one squire strat back in the 80's but I bought it used and it had a Kahler locking trem on it so I never had a use for the string tree. The replacement neck I have has no string tree and I was considering buying staggard tuning keys. the site I saw them at said you use the shorter posts for the A and E (high E). When I look at pics of Fender headstocks I see string trees for the C,G and B,E strings...sometimes just the B and E. I'm confused.

Taller Low E ---> Shortest High E respectively.

• 3 weeks later...

Another question about installing. A long time ago I installed some grover tuners on a headstock that didn't have the screw holes already drilled. I was 17 and wasn't very particular about how I lined up the keys. I ended up with some of the keys a little crooked. What is the best way of making sure I dont have crooked tuning keys?

Another question about installing. A long time ago I installed some grover tuners on a headstock that didn't have the screw holes already drilled. I was 17 and wasn't very particular about how I lined up the keys. I ended up with some of the keys a little crooked. What is the best way of making sure I dont have crooked tuning keys?

Ummm... a ruler.

Sorry don't mean to be a jerk. But really that is it.

Ummm... a ruler.

No offense taken. I was thinking the same thing just use a ruler and line em up. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't anything else to it. \m/

Ummm... a ruler.

No offense taken. I was thinking the same thing just use a ruler and line em up. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't anything else to it. \m/

After I line them up I like to eyeball them in a mirror... sounds silly. But it is like when you draw a picture... if it looks good reversed it is probably proportioned correctly.

Sometimes I have to use a set of calipers to check the distances on the center of key the screws... and of course you can check them at the base screw as well.

I only want one set of holes in my headstocks.