Line 6 Variax 600 ...

Southpa

Just fishing for some feedback on these guitars. More trouble than they're worth? Been reading lots of reviews and they range to the extremes of yea or nay. I play in lots of different tunings and use lots of different guitars as well as a bit of banjo. I'd like to try one out, waiting to hear back from a guy who is selling his for $575 Cdn (good price?)

• 2 weeks later...

Been playing the guitar for a while now and I love it! I just bought a new power supply for it as the other was shorted out, prob'ly why the guy sold the guitar. It likes batteries if the power supply is not used. The power supply is actually for the footswitch which can cycle between XLR and regular amp. I like the piezos, no feedback and/or background noise. Coupled with my clean Musicman 210 Sixty-five and this thing you can hear a mouse pissing on a cotton ball when not playing. :D

OK, settings. There are umpteen different guitars and guitar sounds emulated here. I got LP's, teles, 59 strat, Dobro & National resonators, acoustics (Martin, Gibson, Guild, 6 and 12 string), Coral sitar , Gibson Goldtone banjo, Gibson Firebird, Rickenbacker (6 & 12 string), Gibson hollows and semi-hollows. Does it actually sound like all those guitars? I dunno, I'm not an A.N.A.L. purist and I don't care. I CAN recognize some of the guitars, like tele and strat that are programmed in and the sound based on the 1966 Rickenbacker 360-12 DOES sound like the song Turn, Turn, Turn by the Byrds. :D

strat style maple neck and basswood body, very responsive, snappy, good fretwork and everything is straight. Some guys say, "take away the electronics and you got a 200 or 300 dollar guitar", maybe, but as a builder, restorer, repairer and tinkerer, I find it adequate for my needs. I've been seeing lots of passable, affordable guitars out of the Asian theatre due to cheap labor these days. This particular guitar sports decent enough hardware.

I still have some reading to do and I spy potential. There is some interfacing with the computer ahead using a program called Workbench where I can program in my own sounds, tunings and patch upgrades. It looks like a new era in guitar technology and it might be the last guitar I'll ever buy for myself.

Edited by Southpa

• 2 weeks later...

Nice man, played one at a guitar show once and I gotta say they're pretty solid fiddles.

They don't sond half bad either, definately better than the old pod 2.0/regular guitar set up I used to to play through.

• 3 months later...

How are the acoustic tones? I have been pondering to snag one off eBay for awhile now, to transplant into a standard electric so that I can get both tones out of one guitar for live situations. I AM @n@l about the electric tone but not so much about the acoustic tone if it is good enough.

But I'm also pondering the acoustic 700 series which sports more models and a nylon-string patch as well, but would be a more difficult transplant - and is more expensive.

Then there's the Roland VG-99 but now we're talking bigger buck$.

How are the acoustic tones?

They are meant to be played clean thru an acoustic amp for the best results. But still very adequate thru a conventional amp and VERY authentic sounding thru headphones. This whole digital concept is something to get used to. First off, your strings ALWAYS sound brand new, kinda cool. I've been dabbling in Workbench and programmed some favorite song settings. Open / alternate tunings are fun but at low volume you might hear the standard tuned strings mix in, yuuuch :D. But if i want I can go between dropped C# metal LP to open G Mastertone banjo with a flick of the switch, thats cool. One point tho, I can't do open/alternate tunings in 12-string mode, don't know why but ti just won't stick.