Arcade Button As A Coil Splitter?

timothy.coyle

Ive found that the sound certain humbuckers make when split is usefull. Ive tried playing guitars that have mini switches and push pull pots to split humbuckers and it has always seemed cumbersome, to me at least.

I read about arcade style killswitches that are the right size and would be easy to push real quick while your playing to split a humbucker while not being in the way. Only problem is that the arcade style switches that ive found are only momentary switches and I dont even know if wiring them to split a humbucker is possible. I would like to find an arcade style button switch that you would push and let go of the switch and it would split the humbucker, then push and let go of the button to go back to full humbucking mode. Ive seen something sort of like it in the Suhr Guthrie Govan signature model blower button, but it just goes to the bridge pickup in full without a cap or anything and the button seems kind of small. I was wondering if any of you had tried this and or if know where to source a push push on-off arcade style switch.

I usually end up smacking the volume knob on a strat when I strum and turn down the volume on accident so I usually just reposition the volume knob on a normal strat and get rid of one of the tone knobs. I was thinking that it would be about the perfect place for a button coil splitter that could be easily accessed quickly, and since it is so low to the body I would not hit it on accident. Im hoping it would look something like this but with a arcade style button to split the neck and bridge humbuckers at the same time instead of a black metal volume knob that i used to represent an arcade style button.

Switch2.jpg

Here are some red arcade style killswitches on a Gibson Buckethead signature les paul that look like they would be the perfect size for the job, though they are only momentary switches.

Of itself that is not a problem. You can use a momentary switch (with appropriate debouncing) to electronically re-route pickup output into different configurations such as coil tap, etc. It just means that the switch will not carry the pickup signal and the internal impedance of the guitar circuit will become "active". Not a bad thing in my book though.

Yep - but I believe the point is to incorporate the style of coin-op machine buttons, and I don't think alternating actuator switches are available for those. You could probably modify the button with a common switch, but part of the attraction to coin-op buttons is the feel of them....at least that's why I love them :-)

As mentioned Tim, you can use the momentary nature of the switch to active a flip flop circuit which modifies signal paths as desired. For one thing, that kind of circuit will be silent in operation unlike a mechanically routed signal.

Perhaps they're not an ideal idea, but they do have an aesthetic value.

edit: or as Borge says, if you can replace the switch with a latching alternative, you have your solution :-)

Edited by Prostheta

I dont even know if wiring them to split a humbucker is possible.

Just saw this in the OP, splitting one HB only requires a latching SPST.

Of itself that is not a problem. You can use a momentary switch (with appropriate debouncing) to electronically re-route pickup output into different configurations such as coil tap, etc. It just means that the switch will not carry the pickup signal and the internal impedance of the guitar circuit will become "active". Not a bad thing in my book though.

Not necessarily, the momentary switch could energise a SPST relay to do the coil splitting switching, no need for the guitar signal to have any active circuitry :D but no need really:

The microswitches in arcade switches are the same as you'd find in washing machines, dishwashers and a myriad of other applications, your local appliance repair shop will have a big box of them laying around, take your momentary one in and they may swap it for a latching one or sell you one for a few dollars :D

Edited by borge

As mentioned Tim, you can use the momentary nature of the switch to active a flip flop circuit which modifies signal paths as desired. For one thing, that kind of circuit will be silent in operation unlike a mechanically routed signal.

Perhaps they're not an ideal idea, but they do have an aesthetic value.

edit: or as Borge says, if you can replace the switch with a latching alternative, you have your solution :-)

oops i missed that i was on my cel phone my lap top was having difficulties. sorry for being a dumbshit.