Best Jigsaw, Router And Drill To Buy

Demian

Hi, Im going to start buying some power hand tools and the brands that I can get are Dewalt, Bosch, Makita, Metabo, Porter Cable, B&D and Skill

I will start with a Jig, a Router and a Drill (cordless ?) for building guitars

What are the models that you recommend me to buy, Money its not an issue here, just want power tools that do the job correctly.

I see some expensive jigs where you cannot cut a straight line right.... so that's what i mean

Other issue is the "made in"... I can get Dewalt from Brazil, Mexico, Czech... Bosch from Germany or Switzerland, and so on.

Beside that, what are the recommended power that this tools should have ?

Tell me about your experiences please..

Thx

Demian

Edited by Demian

I have a Rigid jigsaw. Absolutely love it.

Milwaukee M12 drills. I can't get enough of them! The batteries are convenient, and they have plenty of power for the price.

I have a Porter Cable router... Its old though. I can get parts for it easy if it breaks down though, and it doesn't break down often.

I can get parts for it easy if it breaks down though, and it doesn't break down often.

That's the main criteria for buying tools for me and why I stick to known brands with a good service reputation. Rigid, Delta, PC, Grizzly, DeWalt, Bosch whatever....

Get the one that feels good in my hands, hits your price range and get the most quality you can afford.

For cutting a body outline, a Jig Saw may not be the best choice. Do you have access to a scroll saw?

mmm... would be great but if I'd have a place to put a scroll saw I'd buy a bandsaw instead.

Im gonna make 2/3 guitars a year tops and I dont have a workshop to leave bench tools.

I know that its not the better choice to cut wood but that's why Im looking for a high quality jigsaw.

Bosch has a Jigsaw that cuts 120mm of wood for example, why you people say that with a jigsaw cannot cut drop tops ?

I have a Rigid jigsaw. Absolutely love it.

Milwaukee M12 drills. I can't get enough of them! The batteries are convenient, and they have plenty of power for the price.

I have a Porter Cable router... Its old though. I can get parts for it easy if it breaks down though, and it doesn't break down often.

I was looking for Milwakee drills too its great coz they offer 3 year warranty but they are made in China here, The one you have is made in China ?

Jig saws can cut drop tops fine. On full body thickness cuts the blade tends to move off of vertical which will leave much extra work cleaning up your cuts. However it can be done. Check out Scatter Lee's builds and you'll see he drills many relief holes along the cut path and then cuts the body out with a jig saw.

These days made in china can mean the tool is crap or it can mean the tool is made to high quality standards with cheap labor. If it's a reputable company getting tools made in China, odds are the quality is fine. If it's a Harbor Freight house brand...not so much.

SR

Rightnow Im considering two choices for Plunge Router. I dont know if one is better than the other for bench.

.- Bosch GOF2000 CE Professional 2000W (3.25HP 13.5 lbs) Cannot find this model in USA, maybe is it the 1619EVS model there?) $500.-

.- DeWalt DW621 1100W (2HP 9 lbs) $320.-

I know that the Bosch router has a button to lock the springs for using upside down under bench, but dont know if the DW has it...I dont want to buy a PC just for that :D

And has the DW router Enough power for harder woods ?

Thx

Edited by Demian