Custom Switching

Devon8822

Hey guys, I have a custom switching scheme I would like to understand how to get done. First of all I would like to do it without defacing my guitar (1990 Ibanez Jem. So that means I have 2 places pots, rotary switchs, w/e... and one spot for a pickup switch.

I'd like to be able to switch between my pickups via footswitch so what I had in mind was to install a stereo guitar jack and wire the bridge pickup to the tip and the neck pickup to the ring, than I would be able to switch between the with a footswitch. Its just what goes in between the jack and the pickups that I am not sure about.

so ideally I dont want to even use the two pot positions. I was thinking I could use a concentric volume pot to control the volume of both pickups with one knob and still keep the signals separate for the stereo jack. so after the volume pot I could send the pickup signals to a 3 way pickup switch (or more than 3?), and I would like to be able to switch between both pickup being on for switching with the footswitch, and being able to switch pickups from the guitar for those times I use my guitar with other peoples rigs. when both pickups are engaged the bridge would need to go to the tip, and the the neck to the ring of the jack. I would make the selection for both pickups the furthest down position, the bridge in the middle position and the neck pickup in the normal highest position. Now to do this, I realized that I would need to make it so when I switch to the neck pickup, instead of it getting its signal sent to the ring, I would need to send it to the tip, for it to work with a normal patch cable.

Could somebody help me with this wiring scheme? How could I set up the pickup selector to do all this?

Thanks!

so ideally I dont want to even use the two pot positions. I was thinking I could use a concentric volume pot to control the volume of both pickups with one knob and still keep the signals separate for the stereo jack.

sounds like you want a dual ganged pot, not a dual concentric pot?

I'm a bit confused by your explaination. So if i'm understanding correctly here goes the simplist route i can think of...

outputs of pickups go to dual pots, then onboard pickup selector of your choice then jack tip - mono operation complete.

stereo operation - put onboard selector switch to 'neck' pos. (neck sent to jack tip) flick 'stereo-mono' switch (a spst only is required) which connects bridge signal to jack ring.

unless you want to go active and design a circuit which will recognise weather a TS or TRS jack is inserted and switch to mono or stereo accordingly...