Wood preparation

saxaxe

I sanded the paint off my squire strat to prepare for refinishing. The wood seems to still have finish on it. It does not have a wood texture. I plan to refinish my guitar with a clear finish over the wood. Do I deen to do anything about the finished texture the gutiar has? Also, what shouls I use for the refinishing? Is Polyurthine the right stuff?

Thanx,

Dave

Rock on :DB)

make sure that the old finish is completely off of the wood and all u can see is wood so that the old paint does not show up when u refinish, when i refinished mine i didnt take all of the old paint off and it showed up in the new finish and it dont look too good, i had mine repainted by a friend of mine who paints cars and he used nitro laquer for clear but im pretty sure you can use poly too

MzI

saxaxe Posted on Jan 7 2004, 12:28 PM

I sanded the paint off my squire strat to prepare for refinishing. The wood seems to still have finish on it. It does not have a wood texture. I plan to refinish my guitar with a clear finish over the wood. Do I deen to do anything about the finished texture the gutiar has? Also, what shouls I use for the refinishing? Is Polyurthine the right stuff?

yo dude!!

last night i did the same. my mate gave me the body of a squire with the faint off, but it hand dings and scratches on it, and i noticed a clear finish on it. i think this is sealent or a laquer of some sort. it was tough as well!! but the belt sander takes no crap!!

what do you mean wood texture? grain feel or something like that. because when i felt the body it felt really plasticky. after the belt sanding it felt better!