Wth Happened To My Wah?

kpcrash

I have a standard Dunlop Crybaby pedal at the front of my effects loop - where it's 'supposed' to be :D

Recently added a delay pedal at the end of the loop, but that should cause any issues - esp. since it's true bypass. Anyway, all was going great until I hit the wah and all of the sudden the sound got a LOT of treble from out of nowhere ??? Never had this happen with it before - any ideas on things to start checking?

The first obvious question is whether it does it again after you pull the pedal back out of the chain. Is the increased treble always a problem, or only when the pedal is engaged or disengaged? Are there any buffered or not true bypass pedals between the two?

only when it's engaged does it happen. I'll be going back through the chain this morning and attempting to see if something it throwing it off..... there are 2 pedals that I can guarantee have true bypass in them - cause I put it there :D The rest are Boss, so I'll double-double check.

What pedal are you engaging? If it only happens when the delay is engaged, then there is your problem. If the delay is disengaged and the wah is engaged and it's still a problem, then there is something more nefarious going on. As I recall, wah's are very finicky beasts in terms of getting loaded down, but I don't remember why or if that really is the case.

Did a bunch of testing, swapping cables, amps, guitars, etc. to try and establish some pattern to it. Then the obvious hit me - the loop was set up with the wah in front because I was using the amp's distortion and had never engaged any of the distortion pedals during that setup. Once I moved the wah to the END of the loop - worked as expected. Sometimes, I need to just have a cup of coffee and think :D

I've never heard of putting a Wah in the effects loop...

Not "in" so much as at the beginning or end.

• 8 months later...

you can put stuff where you like but traditionally most like their wah pedals before distortion and in front of the amp as its a filter. but you can get some crazy stuff other ways i have a one knob freq generator i run through the wah.

true but logically speaking that kind of falls in the envelope category only because it has to detect the nuances from the guitar. which you can typically find on the net a simple flow chart for standard pedal arrangement. anything that is a filter or envelope type device needs to see the pure guitar signal. ie good harmonizers envelope filters/followers wahs [wahs are more subjective some people like them after everything else] gain devices boost od distortion etc.. modulation fx then time base fx.

there is no set rule but common sense will tell you if your trying to use an effect which drastically alters the sound as much as an acoustic simulator really anything modeling at all should go first. but then again you get some cool sounds by not doing it in any set pattern. i have an on board oscillator that i use on a push pull switch in my guitar and it goes before everything, but it produces a nice fat rectangle wave so i have to pad it down before it hits the amp. but i also have a boss feedbacker clone where the dry signal come in but doesn't leave. so only the effected sound comes out with a cool mod to track the input i can take the input signal and trigger the foot-switch to hold the effect in the octave mode so slightly after each pick attack a variable swelled octave rings out. so all you hear is the effect. comes in handy when your playing acoustic or classical and have a haunting lead come from no where. so in essence it all depends on what sound you are going for. this is why i have three seperate pedal boards