Blackwood Beauty - Single Cutaway

Thanks for the kind words

Scott, The clear coat is waterbourne laquer sprayed on.

Charlie, The cavity cover I cut out of the back plate before gluing the back plate on. I cut the cover out very carefully using several passes of a dremel router bit. The gap in the cut is filled with the binding. So the garin matches because it was originally one piece.

More pics...

406-final4re.jpg

406-final13re.jpg

406-final7re.jpg

406-final8re.jpg

406-final6re.jpg

406-final10re.jpg

406-final14re.jpg

Cheers

Peter

Thanks for the feedback again,

Prostheta, the bridge location is pretty much bang on where a traditional LP bridge is. the body is a little larger than a LP but not nearly as large as an arch top. The extra open space, visually appears that way for the combination of adopting a stoptail wraparound bridge as opposed to the traditional tune-o-matic and stoptail combo which extends the string length past the bridge position. In addition there is a full 24 frets as oposed to the traditional 22, which makes the illusion that the bridge is closer to the end of the fretboard, where as, it is the fretboard terminates a little lower. The guitar plays realy well, and if I had of shrunk the body and shifted the bridge back, it wouldn't feel the same to play, especially to a well seasoned LP player.

Matt, unfortunately I don't have an more details of the neck angle jig, however it is quite simple. It is just a flat piece of acrylic with bolt threads clear of the body and an opening to rout through. The bolts tighten down to the bench below and esentialy sandwich the body holding it in place. The angle is achieved by placing a riser on the underside of the board to lift it at one end, creating an acgled surface to rout on. The accurate angle is achieved by using trigonometry to calculate the required distance between the end of the body (the fulcrum of the top board) and the location of where the riser meets the body depending on the thickness of the riser (which is what I have written of the jig).

Regards,

Peter