Scalloped fretboard questions..

I read the tutorial here about scalloping. And the guy said he didnt reccomend doing a 1/8 scallop, he did the blackmore style.... which i need to someone to explain these questions

If not 1/8 how much should be scalloped?

What is the blackmore style?

What are the pros and cons of scalloping? Warmoth.com says it will increase clarity in hammer ons/taps, speed, bending ability, clarity on arpeggios... this and that.

Basically my hand is damaged (may be carpal tunnel, who knows) would scalloping make it easier on the old hand?

Thanks for your time..

Sorry, I don't know what Blackmore style is either, interested in finding out too. I heard scalloping can be a bit more difficult to control. The big problem is how hard you press on the strings. You have to learn to lighten things up to avoid notes sounding sharp. But I can see great potential in doing long sustain vibratos, etc.

The Richie Blackmore style is scalloping just half of the area on the lower fret board from say 1-14, that way you can still bar cord without killing your fingers.

What I ment about not going down 1/8" in the radius from the orginal surface area of the fret board itself is true, you really do not have to have such a deep scallop for it to be practicle and functioning.

I see people all of the time thinking the perfect scalloped board is one thats almost to the actual neck wood (through the fret board) between the frets and all that does is give a more dramatic look plus weaken the neck drastically.

Thanks brian for clearing that up.

But i wonder, 1st you reccomend not to dig 1/8, what do you reccomend? I read your tutorial and couldnt find how much to dig down, sorry.

and is the scallop this easier on the wrist to play. I think bends and streching are the hardest for the wrists..

I played them for a while , and can say that if your hand is weaker than normal, a scalloped board should help you play lead, but for playing chords, it somehow can put extra stress on your hand, because touching a little fret-board just seems more pleasing to the hand with most types of chords. That's the way I see it, anyway, from my experience.

I think tall frets are a good compromise, if you have a light touch, they give the same effect as scalloping in many, but not all, areas of the neck.

I think Yngwie claimed that he developed painful hand problems from playing a scalloped neck. It does cause the strings to bite into your fingers more, so if your touch is not light enough, you could get the problems Yngwie talked about.

Funny that my fingers are starting to ache right now from remembering when I used a scalloped neck. (I'm left handed, but play right handed, so the strings put deep grooves in my fingers, because I have a heavy touch too often with my fretting(left) hand)

Rob

If you take a very close look at your fret board along the top edge you will usually see a bevel the full length of top edge on most factory boards from where they machined the bevel of the frets. I usually use that as my guide for depth and seldom ever go below it.

One thing you always have to watch out for is a neck that has side marker dot's placed very close to the top edge of the fingerboard. Those are usually 1/8"-1/4" long and will show up in a heartbeat so keep that in mind as well when trying to figure out the depth you want to have.

i recently scalloped my board and i LOVE it! B) in the beginning the the strings cut into my fingertips much more than usual but after a few weeks i developed the lighter touch necessary and now it feels natural. when you think about it, you should only exert enough force to fret the string. Therefore, if it doesn't feel somewhat natural to play a scalloped board, chances are you need to develope a lighter touch. it's the same with bar chords. if it hurts on a scalloped board, you're probably exerting too much pressure than what's necessary and don't realise it.

since i scalloped my mexican tele, it has become one of my favorite guitars to play. i sometimes find myself playing it more than my new carvin DC400, which cost me an arm and a leg.

playing scalloped fretboards is a great way to develope a lighter touch, not to mention the increased vibrato and higher bends it allows you to do. if you play it enough you will come to love it. what have you got to lose? you will never know for youself unless you try. :D

i scalloped my ibanez after long deliberation, and brian's tutorial (thanks man!) because i thought it would increase vibrato etc... and because i had a really light touch to begin with. all i can say is it rocks!!! its far better than a normal fretboard. i dont think it will help you play faster tho, and it can sometimes be harder to play, but its well worth it!!

I think Yngwie claimed that he developed painful hand problems from playing a scalloped neck.

Actually, I remember reading on Yngwie's website where he disagrees with the claim that scalloped fretboards are the cause of hand problems. I'll post the link when I find it.

This is what I was referring to above:

Raven asks, "What are the advantages and disadvantages of having your fretboard scalloped?" and Kyle Harrison asks, "Do you think there is a connection between scalloped fretboards and tendonitis?"

Answer from Yngwie: "The advantage is that you have more control over the strings, you can "grip" the strings more precisely without pressing them all the way down to the fretboard. Scalloping [scooping out the wood between frets] doesn't make you play faster, it just allows you to be more precise. A disadvantage, I guess, is that a scalloped neck may be harder to play for someone who is not used to it. As for causing tendonitis, I strongly disagree--it couldn't have that effect at all. I had tendonitis years ago, in '85, and that just went away because I started drinking a lot of Gatorade which contains a lot of salts and minerals, especially potassium, which helps to lubricate the tendons. Sweating a lot under the hot lights on stage and in the studio makes you lose those minerals. I've heard people claim that about scalloped necks before, and I truly don't believe that is the cause. Overplaying, on any kind of neck, would be the main reason for tendonitis- it's like carpal tunnel syndrome for people who use a computer keyboard or mouse constantly. It could also have a lot to do with the position of the hand when fretting, in a cramped or strained position. So, it is not the scalloped fretboard itself, but the way you position your hand when fretting that could cause problems. If you develop tendonitis, you need to look at your own playing habits. Do you play too long at one time, do you need to warm up slowly before puttin' the pedal to the metal, could you change the fingering positions to bring less stress, and so on. Some people may just be more susceptible to irritation of the tendon casings than others. I figured out where my own problem was coming from and it finally went away. I've never had any problems with tendonitis since then."

And here's the link to it:

http://yngwie.org/news/Answers3.html

After over 25 years of problem-free playing on a regular fretboard, I started having pain in my fingers and thumb. Then I read somewhere that a scalloped fretboard might help so I tried it. That's when I realized that I was squeezing the neck unnecessarily hard and it had finally caught up with me after all these years. Playing a scalloped fretboard sort of taught me not to squeeze. That and a bit of warming up before shredding and the more effortless vibrato that the scalloping provides has eliminated the pain. The vibrato feels so much smoother and as wide as you would ever want it, too.