Tremolo Locking Nut Vs Tuners

You can use locking tuners. However there will be a slight case of strings not returnng to the origninal pitch when pulled back and forth over the nut. A slippery material like graphite will of cause help, but if dive bombing is your thing there is only one thing to consider: a double locking tremolo.

The Floyd Rose is a system, and part of that system is the locking nut. By only using the locking saddles you still can have string binding at the nut or strings slip at the tuners. To get everything possible out of a Floyd Rose you need the locking nut. If you are not dive bombing heavy enough to think you need the locking nut, then I would save the money and setup time and get a quality non-locking two-post trem, say a Wilkinson.

If you use a roller nut, and the string pull is straight, or almost straight, then locking tuners work really well.

Other than that, a zero fret and graphite nut with the slots cut slightly looser than normal, along with a straight string pull, gives very good results. This is the way I do it because I make guitars with 46 - 48mm wide nuts, and I haven't found locking nuts wide enough.

• 1 month later...

Jus depends if you really want to USE the trem..if you do,the locking nut is a must have...the whole "nut,locking tuner" thing is only for people who don't want to use a trem to it's full potential.

My Floyd equipped guitars(once the strings are stretched)stay absolutely in tune for weeks at a time...try that with locking tuners and a standard nut :D

Unfortunately,i don't know if one perfect guitar actually exists for any single guitarist...if i had to narrow down to as few as possible,i would still have three or four.

Some come pretty close..I could most likely be just fine with two all mahogany modded explorers(My version I mean) with one having a kahler and one a TOM...but the one with the kahler would most definitely have a floyd locking nut,just like all my others do now