Plating Metal Parts?

Hey guys,

I have been machining some individual bridge pieces for my next guitar. I am just about done with the machining, now I need to figure out how I'm going to finish them. I really like the looks of black chrome, but I had a quote from a place that plates mostly hot rod parts and they wanted over $300 to do six bridge pieces. This seemed a little steep to me. Do any of you have experience getting hardware plated? Is it really this expensive? Do you think powder coat would work?

Here is a pic of what I need to get finished.

IMG_9127.jpg

Thanks for any input! :D

Getting them anodized would probably be pretty cheap, and you could get a wide range of colors. Powder coating aluminum is also pretty easy and durable, though you will likely have a greater finish thickness with powder coating.

You're best bet is to find a local plating shop and ask if they can get added to the next batch of small parts they are plating. That should keep the cost down, you just have to wait for their schedule.

These guys do refinishing and plating on guns, and their prices are pretty decent. They might be able to do those pieces for you at a reasonable price. I can atest that they do nice work.

http://www.fordsguns.com/

I was going to say the same, you can get a decent nickel plating kit from Eastwood or buy the chemicals and parts separately and nickel plate them, but I don't know about the black chrome finish. you could also polish them and send them to get powder coated with candie black...