Toxic Fumes + Respirator + Beard

Aside from shaving off my beard, is there any way for me to get a good seal from a respirator while sanding toxic woods and finishing a guitar?

For dust particles use this http://www.resp-o-rator.com/ror/

For FUMES you are going to need something much more expensive

The short answer is no. A full face may help. Petroleum jelly may help. Neither will insure a good fit. BTW everyone should get an OK from there doctor before using a filtering respirator. Dust masks are for iritants only. They don't have what it takes to deal with toxic particles.

Just to give my credentials, over twenty years as an OSHA certified hazardous waste site supervisor and trainer.

Good point on getting the doctors okay. I've worked at a few places where part of our pre-employment physical requires a breathing test to allow us to use a respirator. I've only ever worked in the office, but it is still required. Talking with the in house safety guys, they've told me there are some people that thought they would be okay, but ended up failing the test. Filtering respirators take more force to breathe through than you would think.

The short answer is no. A full face may help. Petroleum jelly may help. Neither will insure a good fit. BTW everyone should get an OK from there doctor before using a filtering respirator. Dust masks are for iritants only. They don't have what it takes to deal with toxic particles.

Just to give my credentials, over twenty years as an OSHA certified hazardous waste site supervisor and trainer.

So would you consider the thing I linked to a respirator? Just curious.

For some reason the page you linked didn't load right for me (some Java error message). I already have a 3M Respirator ordered, and was hoping that would be good enough to do the job (I think it should be). My main concern is the seal, since I've noticed that after sanding poplar on the weekend with a disposable mask, I find myself coughing on Monday/Tuesday and my throat is sore. If the beard must go, so be it ... it will grow back :D

For some reason the page you linked didn't load right for me (some Java error message). I already have a 3M Respirator ordered, and was hoping that would be good enough to do the job (I think it should be). My main concern is the seal, since I've noticed that after sanding poplar on the weekend with a disposable mask, I find myself coughing on Monday/Tuesday and my throat is sore. If the beard must go, so be it ... it will grow back :D

Install the latest java... then Google search Resp-O-Rator

Anyway. Coughing is BAD. If this is happening shave the beard and wear a mask. If I get stupid and forget my mask while working on a rosewood variant I will have a sinus infection the next week. BAD. Wear a mask. Shave the beard and wear a mask. For me poplar is not an irritant... so if it is bothering you you will be in a world of hurt when you run into a real irritant like wenge or pau ferro.

I have a very short beard, but I only used water based finishes. As long as I pull the mask tight, there isn't a problem.

My new favorite finish is water based, but still puts out some fumes. I have to be extra careful with that one, but it's been okay so far. It's a horrible skin irritant and I think it's mummifying my hands, but that's another issue.

No that is just a dust mask that is set up to grab air from behind. I guess the idea is the air behind you is better than in front were you are working. The specs (mircon size and % filter) don't add up to anything that should be used for anything other than "nuisance" dust (OSHA term not mine).

Install the latest java... then Google search Resp-O-Rator

Anyway. Coughing is BAD. If this is happening shave the beard and wear a mask. If I get stupid and forget my mask while working on a rosewood variant I will have a sinus infection the next week. BAD. Wear a mask. Shave the beard and wear a mask. For me poplar is not an irritant... so if it is bothering you you will be in a world of hurt when you run into a real irritant like wenge or pau ferro.

That was my reason for posting here about it. I will soon be working with some rosewood and possibly MOP and then painting and finishing and wanted to have a plan.

My wife has a sinus infection now and I can't help but wonder if it's due to her coming into the garage while I'm working to see progress :D

Ebay a deep sea diving helmet and connect hoses to the outside world with fans to intake and exhaust :-)

Your health is priceless, whereas a beard and a respirator have quantifiable values. I would pay top dollar for a mask, and I will when I need one myself.

I have a beard and had pretty good results with a full face respirator, (the riot looking kind) In fact today I machine sanded the bottom of a boat all day and was fine. That horrible blue stuff on the bottom I mean. The sander was just a few inches above my face and I didnt have any leaks. As far as fumes/vapors go, you may have to shave :D

Edit, just saw your post, I own that 3m respirator and I LOVE it. It makes a huge difference. I also have the organic vapor inserts as well as the particulate inserts on it, its still easy to breathe.

Edited by tjiscooler