Repairing A Crack?

~davie

Hey guys, do you think this paint crack on this body can be repaired or reduced in appearance (to make it less noticeable)?

If so, then how can I do it?

It's a guitar that found on craigslist that I'm considering buying.

The crack is on the lower back of the body.

(picture attached)

Give me your thoughts.

Thanks

3k73o43pa5O05Z05U5b4r6b5510f40f3c194e.jpg

Edited by ~davie

lacquer burn in sticks.

Thanks for the response. I think I read a guide on Stewmacs on something similar.

But how exactly do I do it?

And what about the colour? Is it possible to get it to blend with the original colour?

Lacquer burn in sticks only come in a few colors so if it doesn't match you will have to go another route.

To use them you use a hot knife (I used the soldering iron power style) and melt the stick into the cracks. Works great on black, browns, and ambers.

If it is a special color guitar I don't have any advice as I quit doing repair work years ago. Maybe Pauliemc or supplebannana can chime in.

Lacquer burn in sticks only come in a few colors so if it doesn't match you will have to go another route.

To use them you use a hot knife (I used the soldering iron power style) and melt the stick into the cracks. Works great on black, browns, and ambers.

If it is a special color guitar I don't have any advice as I quit doing repair work years ago. Maybe Pauliemc or supplebannana can chime in.

The guitar is black. So where can I get some of these lacquer sticks?

The guitar is black. So where can I get some of these lacquer sticks?

Seriously?

Stew Mac, LMI, Rockler, Klingspor... etc

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=lacquer+burn-in+stick

I know that Stewmac supplies them, but I thinking about maybe something local, since it may be more convenient.

Stewie is local to everyone. Takes 2 days for their stuff to reach me in IRELAND. Christ sakes, thats faster than most letters carried by national mail carriers. Id just go with them.

But dont be surprised if the black does not match up totaly perfect. Black is not just black, if you get my drift. Just got to a local automotive repair place & look at the different blacks used by different manufacturers, All black, all slightly different. You may have to settle for a best match scenario.

I would also have a look at the area around the chip out. It looks like there may be some spalling from the impact. So the finish is broken away from the sealer/timber a little more than it looks in the pik. You might be able to wick some realy thin CA under the finish if that has happened. It would help stabalise it before you attempt to repair the missing paint.

What is the guitar ? Make ? Model ?

Might be easiest to just get a rattle can of poly, Spot repair it, Spray it with some rattle can 2K clear & buff it out :D Not always the most perfect method, But if its not a $6000 Les Paul then why bother killing yourself. Sometimes the half assed approach actually works realy well.