New Design: Jaguar-esque

verhoevenc

New Design: Jaguar-esque  

22 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So I've been on a Fender-design binge for awhile now. I'm usually through and through a humbuckers, carved tops, etc. guy. But something about the solid color, retro magic that is the Fender design scheme has just taken me lately. Most notably has been that of the Fender Jaguar style. I've been trying to get an offset design locked down to where I like it for MONTHS and I think I've finally gotten there. Here it is:

offsetfinal.jpg

While we're here voting anyways... might as well see what folks think of the tele-esque designs I've put together as well:

MarlinTeles.jpg

Feel free to vote, comment, reply, etc. as you see fit.

Chris

I really dig the Jaguar looking design with a 3-a-side head. The same thing with your Marlin with a Tele-ish look. I would however prefer the Bigsby version with a B5 conversion bridge plate and bridge.

-131854001207540910-1024x746.jpg

When I first saw that Bigsby picture I thought it was a guitar with a "black leather" finish. That would be awesome. Someone should make it happen!

Back to topic. I really like the Tele esque design. Nice pointy "edges" and wide "V ass shape". Not sure on the "top left" horn on the jag. It kind of looks a little bit to stretched or thin for my taste. But I bet the finished product will look a lot better.

Hahahaha, probably should have excluded the bigsby from the photo. The tele (non-thinline version above) is my next planned build and I'm not using a bigsby. I just dropped that in there to make sure there was space cause I'm sure I will ONE day, and I'd better be design-ready :D

Chris

Edit: That said, I am actually a fan of the modded bucket tele bridges that then take a bigsby.

I really like the Jaguar-esque, but since it´s offset I feel as though the headstock should reflect that.

I agree with Mex, i think the design is a very nice spin on classic meets modern look and if i saw this guitar in a shop i would pick it up for a play and a better look. That being said though, i think the headstock could have an offset look thrown in to really bring the design and marry the headstock and body together.

The Tele esque design looks more like a LP variation to me. The headstock fits more with this design but still could be tweaked a little.

They look good Chris, you can see where you got your inspiration but tweaked enough to class as original IMO.

:D

Hahahaha, it is just a Marlin with a pickguard and sized a bit differently to accommodate the 25.5" scale :D But yes, the Marlin definitely was originally designed to be more Gibson-like than Fender-like... so that definitely shows through. I'm convinced it has a lot to do with the ratio of upper bout width to lower bout width. The tele upper bout is almost as wide as the lower whereas this has essentially the same proportions as an LP does.

I hadn't thought of the offset body=offset headstock idea... but I like it! Perhaps I could use my 7-string headstock (see below) and just not have the 7th tuner present?

angledtuners.jpg

Chris

Hahahaha, it is just a Marlin with a pickguard and sized a bit differently to accommodate the 25.5" scale :D But yes, the Marlin definitely was originally designed to be more Gibson-like than Fender-like... so that definitely shows through. I'm convinced it has a lot to do with the ratio of upper bout width to lower bout width. The tele upper bout is almost as wide as the lower whereas this has essentially the same proportions as an LP does.

I hadn't thought of the offset body=offset headstock idea... but I like it! Perhaps I could use my 7-string headstock (see below) and just not have the 7th tuner present?

angledtuners.jpg

Chris

Can we see that headstock on your overall plan?

Sorry boys... but that headstock is my signature. It ain't going anywhere. The closest to a difference I'll go it if I can design a matching 6-a-side... but it'd be matching and still totally deco. It's a design point I can't and won't budge on. That said, you're welcome to tell me which version of the deco headstock you hate with it least :D

Chris

I agree,you have to stick with your signature headstock...it's not always going to match every guitar perfectly,but that is typically how you recognize a brand of guitar...

I have designed 2 styles of headstocks for mine,with version one having been designed for a specific offset V,should I ever get to building it,and I use that headstock on most of my builds(with a slight alteration) even though I usually get told it doesn't "match"...but then again,the hockey stick headstock on an explorer in no way matches the body...yet people have become so accustomed to it that they actually think it does.

• 1 year later...

May have been obvious to some that follow my youtube account (did a fabric top tut that showed one of these guitars), but I have actually been working on these things. Slow and steady with other projects, but still. Thought I'd do a little update and also ask a question.

The bodies have long since been cut out:

dee480d4.jpg

Necks are routed, glued, tapered, and partially carved too. They feature "drop-down" style headstocks even though they are both 3x3 style:

IMG_0472.jpg

542ac17d.jpg

090ECA23-7E99-400F-A330-D3D145C99F7C-4613-00000723CFEB2C55.jpg

35F13596-0B70-4AE5-BEE6-F1F040AAFB55-4168-0000063AB248E5ED.jpg

FE100990-05ED-424F-941D-5816300917AB-17452-0000156117492FFB.jpg

So here's the question I want to ask. The Marlin Tele will, along with traditional pickups, be getting the guts out of a variax 300. I specifically say the 300 because that's the one that has many of the internal components on a "plate" and therefore you don't have the usual flexibility in placing the knobs where ever. Essentially the 3 knobs gotta stay in the same relative relation to one another. The 5-way switch can move... but not very far. Technically I could unsolder, find a longer flat-cable-thing, re-wire, etc. But I'd prefer not to. So, this is the best placement I can find for the control so far. Thoughts?

BFC774E9-091E-48BA-BE66-768C99FD88CE-20557-000015A4DF7FCEE6.jpg

Chris

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

So I don't update these threads very often. Mainly cause I build slow as molasses sometimes cause there are so many different projects. However, there's stuff to show here! Yay!

I set the neck on the tele-esque as it needs no angle so I just went ahead and did it. Also got logos inlaid into these headstocks and like 3 others. And finally, I routed out the pickguards. I'm super happy with how they've turned out! Still have to make the metal sections for the Jaguar-esque one, but you get the idea.

105D40FC-1269-43B8-AF35-05E593932FDB-953

A5B66218-9B9C-4B48-9A28-D901818D8CCA-910

Actually managed to video and edit the routing of that pocket! Hopefully will get it done with a Myka jig here in the next week and then I can put out my "How to Route Neck Pockets" tutorial.

Chris