Swirl Paint tutorial

cajunboy2k

Eeegad. Call me crazy, but I've always thought that those swirl paint jobs were just plain nasty looking, no offense to Ibanez peepz, cuz the higher end Ibanyezz's play great, but was NEVER a fan of that swirlie stuff. Cool tutorial though. Looks like these guys would happily swirl anyones guitar for a quarter bag of weed. :D

Eeegad. Call me crazy, but I've always thought that those swirl paint jobs were just plain nasty looking, no offense to Ibanez peepz, cuz the higher end Ibanyezz's play great, but was NEVER a fan of that swirlie stuff. Cool tutorial though. Looks like these guys would happily swirl anyones guitar for a quarter bag of weed. :D

I think that is a little unfair to Darren Johansen and Herc Fede...

LGM.. Are you serious???

Santa Claus and Easter Bunny aside... this is just one of the nastiest finishes possible. Sooner or later, and I'm sure it was sooner than later, many people have figured out how to arrive at this finish. *Me* personally, I think this looks like a pile of ass, capped off with a nice ass bag, followed up with some ass finish, and a butt cheek clear coat. (polished with pubes)...

Vai himself even once said it looks like intergallactictal puke, and I won't argue with him.. It's not as if some big trade secret has been exposed. LOL... This is the most assiest of all the ass finishes you could possibly ass for.

And, I dont' mean to offend Herc Fede, or that other fellow... but what about Bartholomew J. Hudson III Junior Esquire the Fourth.. The Dutch guy who invented plaid. I hate plaid, wont' ever wear it, but I dont mean to offend him by not wearing plaid....

People:

I agree that a "secret" has been let out....but isn't that what this site is all about???

You don't think Ibanez wanted it to be a secret that the JEM vine inlay was made out of green paper???

I was rather supprised to find out that MANY of the guitars made today from MAJOR companies (Jackson, Fender, Ibanez) were topped with a Flame Vaneer rather than a 1/4 inch top!

How many of you were made aware of Jackson guitars "secret" on their Soloists....that when the paint is stripped off the guitar looks more like a butcher block than a guitar!

So many pieces of wood glued together, it's a CRIME!!

Anyway, the "secrets" are what make this site fun for me. My vote is KEEP THEM COMING!!!!

And for anyone who thinks that they can get a swirl finish done as magnificently as About Time Guitars the first time they try tutorial #77, I think you will see...

The secret is only part of the illusion......

The ART is what makes the MAGIC!!

I will now get off my soapbox....

Respectfully, :D

Dave K

Hey guys!

Well, as a fellow swirl-lover, let me voice my two cents here...

After i read this tutorial, i was all excited about the possibility of doing my own swirl, so in my static excitment, i told the first person i saw: My Mum! I said, " i learned how to do swirl finishes on guitars last night! ", and she said, " Oh, you mean with oil paints on the water? "... i was kinda stunned that she knew, and i said, " Uh, yeah... and you add Borax to the water ", and she nodded her head and said " To break the surface tension". Hmmph. It's not that big of a secret, guys. Here's the way i look at it:

1. Just because you've watched one of those 'Magician's Secrets Revealed' shows on TV does not make you David Blane. Years of practice will.

2. Let's say someone gives you a brush, some paint, and a canvas. They tell you, 'this is how to paint', and give you some tips. Do think that a work of Rembrandt is going to magically appear when you try to paint? Nah...

What i'm trying to say is that Darren and Herc are the magicians and Rembrandts. They are GOOD at swirling. And i'm sure they'll tell you, it took tons of practice to get where they are! While a person that reads the tutorial may be able to get a decent-looking swirl out of their first couple of attempts, it still won't be anywhere near what Herc or Darren could acheive. The only info we have is that we know how to do it... so what, that doesn't make us good at it!

Ben

Amen Ben, I've studied Darren's technique for years and have a bit better understanding on how he achieve's his particular style, but that doesn't mean I'm going to rush out and do it (course the fact I did a couple of years ago helps).

I personaly would strip my MIJ strat and swirl it in a heart beat if I trusted myself to clear coat it properly...I have no clue what the best paint/clear coat combo is...I think that if you swirled your own guitar, you would be less picky bout the outcome..I would never expect a ATD quality swirl, But heck I like some of those strait up and down swirls...All those colors, Its all good... B)

P.S. Someone tell me the right paint/clear coat combo to use...Someday I would like to swirl a guitar, And id like to know what im doing....

Im not to sure Darren wants to share that little secret :D He is one skilled man

WOW this is very interesting on all the different points on veiw on "SWIRL" first off i love the swirl on a guitar...it's art the cool thing about it is that it a pattern thats not supposed to be perfect, however your hand dips th guitar and is moved around then thats what you get! Couple years ago i set out to find the answers to this"secret" like everyone else i knew the basis of how it was done but want to know that "tweeked" part that Guys like Herc and ATD have down......."Parctice" as with anything. I wanted to do a flame job on my truck again i knew pretty much how to do it but i wnet and grabbed some instructional tapes and a mes load of scrap metal and pacticed till i got what i wanted. Finally its not cool to knock someone's art"work" (ampage) we are all artist here and how we create our guitars to what our minds have dreamed up is the purest form of "art" what looks good to you may not look good to me but im not gonna scorn you on it...so with thatim off to "practice" swirling lol.....Brian thank you lol i know iv bugged the hell outta ya with wandering when the tutorial would be out ..i had faith in ya bro :D

Finally its not cool to knock someone's art"work" (ampage) we are all artist here and how we create our guitars to what our minds have dreamed up is the purest form of "art" what looks good to you may not look good to me but im not gonna scorn you on it...s

<OT>Honestly, if you're willing to put your "artwork" in the public forum you should be willing to hear someone say they hate it. I do believe that ampage said that he thinks swirls look like ass and doesn't know why anyone would want one. One guy saying a finish looks bad (well two, I'm not a fan either) is a dang good average when you think about it.</OT>

saying you dont like something is fine, of course!!! The thing is how you say it.

For the record here are the Rules relevant to this area:

Forum General Rules and Conduct

1. This forum is open to the general public, as such you should take into consideration that the opinions and views expressed in the forum are just that, different peoples opinions and views.

2. There will be no flaming, derogatory remarks, slamming or ill expressed comments tolerated pertaining to forum members, different makes and models of guitars that they own or are working on, or web sites and their content owned or represented by Project Guitar. The only exception to this rule is posting in the Soap Box section of the forum where you can say just about anything you like.

3. Whenever possible remember that people are here to learn and help each other. Getting or giving a different opinion about how or what to do is not an attack on your ideals and ways of doing something, just a healthy way of viewing and learning different ways to go about what needs to be done. After all there must be well over 20 different ways just to apply paint to a guitar alone.

just a little reminder :D

Forum General Rules and Conduct

2. There will be no flaming, derogatory remarks, slamming or ill expressed comments tolerated pertaining to forum members, different makes and models of guitars that they own or are working on, or web sites and their content owned or represented by Project Guitar. The only exception to this rule is posting in the Soap Box section of the forum where you can say just about anything you like.

<OT>That being said, I don't think that saying "I don't like it" is outlawed.

I think "that looks like ass" was bad, just because I thought it was a gratuitous use of the word. But there *is* a difference between flaming and saying "I don't like it." For those who don't know the difference, go to Jemsite and say "I bought a guitar made in Korea."</OT>

Anyway, seriously, this (how to swirl) was the biggest non-secret. They sell swirl kits on TV (I'm not making that up, kids). All of the people who say the practice make the difference are right. If you like them, don't think you're going to get it right the first time. My suggestion, buy a lot of scrap.

CerealK.. My swirl remark was just an honest, innocent opinion. I appreciate you posting the "rules" for us to review, but I think you are going overboard on this whole issue. I realize that you yourself have a swirled guitar, and you probably think it is the cats meow, and that's great. I did not mention anyones specific guitar or anyones specific "artwork", just that swirls in general have never appealed to me and I really do think they look quite gross. Peace and love and hugs all around.

aMpaGe:

I am one of the forum moderators

I was reminding everybody to not be rude or make rude comments about other people's work

We know you dont like it

you have said:

"Eeegad. Call me crazy, but I've always thought that those swirl paint jobs were just plain nasty looking, no offense to Ibanez peepz, cuz the higher end Ibanyezz's play great, but was NEVER a fan of that swirlie stuff"

"this is just one of the nastiest finishes possible....

I think this looks like a pile of ass, capped off with a nice ass bag, followed up with some ass finish, and a butt cheek clear coat. (polished with pubes)...

....This is the most assiest of all the ass finishes you could possibly ass for."

and

"swirls in general have never appealed to me and I really do think they look quite gross"

so why post in the Swirl Paint tutorial thread?

The worst thing you said was this

"Looks like these guys would happily swirl anyones guitar for a quarter bag of weed. "

which may have been true in the past (maybe) but it is wrong of you to imply somebody is a dope-head

If you want to discuss this further email me. This thread is drifting off-topic.

Peace and hugs back at you :D

Best wishes

Simon

CerealK, you really do need to lighten up and see the humor in things, rather than take everything so seriously. I'm so sorry to have offended your precious swirl; (which, btw, did YOU swirl it, or pay someone to do it? Just curious.)

I have absolutely no need to speak with you privately in email. As for the "weed" comment, Brian was totally fine with it and recognized it as a JOKE, and if Brian was cool with it, that is all that matters. You are doing a stellar job of moderating this forum, cerealk. We all appreciate your tact, and feel that you are an integral key component of this forum. Cheerio.