Having Some Red Stain Blues...help!

I have a guitar with a glued flame maple veneer. I have scrap pieces I've been testing to create a deep yet bright red like the Ibanez Premium Red shown here: My link if you scroll down and click on the Red Desert you'll see what I'm trying to create.

I'm not dead set on it being an exact match I'm just trying to get a good deep red stain and I can't find one anywhere. Checked Home Depot, Lowes, Sherwin Williams, Hobby Lobby and no one has a deep red stain, all their reds are light. Has anyone used or know of a solution or know how to achieve this deep red or who sells this stain that works?

Please help!

You need to mix your own dyes...find a set of water(or alcohol) soluble dyes,add a few drops of red to a pint or so of water(or alcohol),and mix in some drops of black until it is as deep as you want,then test it on scrap,let dry,and clear over it to make sure it is what you want(seal the mixture after you dye the scrap)...

If you like the color,do the guitar...if it is not what you want,adjust it and try again...

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Finishing_supplies/Colors,_tints,_and_stains/ColorTone_Liquid_Stains.html

I don't do that,but you can...others do.And you sand most of that black off anyway until it is just grayish in the figure...

But to get your color you mix the colors in your solvent(water or alcohol)

I don't stain the wood at all...I tint my clear gloss and spray it on,then top it with clear without color added...That is how I did this one...no stain on the wood at all

l.jpg

l.jpg

l.jpg

Hard to see the figure because of the reflections ..here is a fuzzy inside "progress" shot that shows the figure better...when you are out of the sunlight it is much more clear

l.jpg

I like the deeper reds myself..with this one it took some extra doing,because though the bubinga already had a slightly reddish tint,it also had a lot of brown in it.I had to add yellow of all things to take away the brown of the wood..which worked great on the body,but if you look at the maple neck,it developed an orange-ish hue

l.jpg

getting the proper color is not easy.You need to experiment on cutoffs of the same wood you are making the guitar from,and then repeat it exactly for the real thing...pen and paper to keep track if your memory isn't perfect.