Newest Project

So far so good.

BODY: Mahogany back (salvaged from the junkpile - used to be part of somebody's headboard :D), bookmatched maple top with burls and some moderate flaming, mix in a bit of interesting grain pattern. More clear to be applied yet, after a good scuffing. The maple is from the same plank I used to build the Tequila Sunrise tele a few years back.

HPIM2077.jpg

NECK: One-piece Fender style. Solid quartersawn holly w/ ebony skunkstripe. Hand crafted single action truss rod. Fretboard side is dyed black and cleared in poly. Inlay is from 5/16" brass hexagon rod, brass sidemarker dots.

HPIM2079.JPGHPIM2082.JPG

HARDWARE: EVERYTHING will be gold, 'cept for the pickups. Gold fretwire (hard stuff), brass nut, hardtail bridge, gold Grover minis, all pickup, switch, etc mounting screws will be brass, gold vol/tone knobs.

Pickups will be Seymour Duncan quarterpounders. I rummaged thru the used pup box at the local Mom 'n Pop music store and found these QP's, 2 were dead so I rewound them and they are HOT! HOT! HOT!

When I'm closer to finishing I'll have better pics. I've managed to keep this project going on the sidelines while doing umpteen repairs. The time to push is now, so I hope to have this done by Sept.

whats up with headboard telecasters lol

theres a guy on UG building one too, i thought it was you at first but you went a little different direction with it.

thats some sweet looking grain on there!

build threads dont seem to get much attention on here =(

i just got my shipment of gold fretwire today! im excited to use it, its my first time fretting and my first neck build. stuff looks pretty sweet, and i havent seen it used a whole lot. where did you get yours? the cheapest i found was on LMII.com, i searched everywhere because its not cheap stuff! shipping from LMII is 8.50 flat though, so i made sure to order some binding and stuff on there too. some of their other hardware is a bit overpriced though.

anyways, build is looking really good!

build threads dont seem to get much attention on here

Not true.Things are just slow around here right now.Don't know why,but it has been this way for about two months now,maybe this summer everyone is out doing things every chance they get.Maybe it is just too hot.Maybe everyone shut off the internet to save money...Who knows...but it is generally much busier..

I bought a length of fretwire from a friend who originally got it from LMI. Jumbo size and its much harder (or less malleable?) than conventional mild steel wire. I don't take as many pics anymore, too busy and I forget. But I DO occasionally document something that I haven't done before for edumacational purposes. So many members on this forum now and much of it winds up on the back burner in the archives in a very short time. I sometimes wonder why I bother at all.

Just the first assembly of my "swamp" tele. I usually leave them like that for a few days, sort of an in between breather, before I continue. Still LOTS to do, more scuffing and clearcoating. I still have to rewire one of the pickups, and do the general wiring. Might install a push/pull and dig up some new wiring schematic. Also considering a piezo under the bridge, still thinking. Anyway, I kinda like the finish and color of this guitar.

HPIM2093.jpg