Cat Question...yeah, Yeah, I Know...

Girlfriend can't have a cat where she lives, so I accepted this beast for a while. Kinda getting used to it, but it has one habit that is unacceptable to me.

It goes up on the sink where I have the dishes. I need to break this animal of that habit. What is a good repellant, that will make it not go to that area again?

Not something that will hurt it, but something that will make it learn real fast not to go there?

I am ready to call the Chinese restaurant down the street to come pick up tonight's "menu."

Thanks,

Miike

Edited by MP63

I ended up with a turtle because my gf was moving back in with her folks and they wouldn't let her have it there. So I did just lke you. Now she's gone and I have a ass hole turtle. But we still get along better than me and her.

Cats hate sticky stuff. If you put double sided sticky tape up there, and he is forced to walk on it, then he won't go up there anymore. You can't train cats... you can only trick them.

Another (better, less messy) solution is to get some of that computer chair mat stuff that's smooth on one side and has sharp things for gripping carpet on the other side. Put that wherever you don't want the cat (couch, counters, chairs, table, sink, etc.) and he won't want to walk on it. Eventually he'll stop trying, and you can take it off. If he does it again, put it back on.

Chemicals only sometimes work, and they can be expensive...

I had a similar problem when my brother lived with me. He had 2 annoying cats.

I sorted it by slapping them off of anything I didnt want them on. After a while they got the message & stopped climbing on things.

then I took it up a level by getting 2 german shepards :D

I had a similar problem when my brother lived with me. He had 2 annoying cats.

I sorted it by slapping them off of anything I didnt want them on. After a while they got the message & stopped climbing on things.

then I took it up a level by getting 2 german shepards :D

We (my wife) had a cat that I used the slapping off method on. What he learned was to stay down when we were in the same room with him. After that he left plenty of evidence of his transgressions, but never got caught at it so he could slapped down and taught the message again. I love the German Shepard plan though!

spraying them with water works

We tried that as well with this same cat. It did work for a while, but after a while he just gritted his teeth and laid his ears back and did as he pleased while the water bounced off his face.

I used to like cats.....but this one cured me of that.

SR

Place aluminum foil on the counter where you don't want the cat. They hate the way it sounds and feels.

I;ve tried this and it works.

Ditto...It worked for me as well. My wife read about the foil method online after I threatened to downgrade our (her) cats status back to "stray" if it didnt stop getting on the counter. Plus it's funny to hear the crash of cat & foil hitting the ground. :D

• 1 month later...

[i do better than that. I use a flying shoe and I am right on target. I am getting attached to this beast, then it does something stupid and I get re-unattached.

• 2 weeks later...