Greetings all,

New builder from Texas here. Have been upgrading/customizing/repairing my own guitars for 26 years now. Mainly electronics/hardware stuff. Decided to take up actual builds now. I am currently drawing out two plans to begin building soon. One will be a RR1 clone, the other a Double V done in all mahogany. I have some questions regarding the neck construction for the RR clone.

Looking at pictures I found on other sites of Jackson factory tours, the necks are constructed differently than my initial thoughts on 3 piece necks. They take the quartersawn neck blank, scarf the headstock, and glue a third piece of wood to create the body thickness. If I am using a 13* scarf that breaks approx 2/3 between the nut and fret one, and continues until it would come out at the top of the neck real close to being under fret 2 with 4/4 lumber, it seems that I will have to trim the headstock piece to thickness and blend that into the neck. Only asking because I have yet to see anyone demonstrate scarf joints this way except looking at Jackson's necks. I am using the neck from my Dinky for reference. Am I describing this correctly?

The Double V will be built utilizing the 3 piece method Neal Moser discusses on his website. 3 flatsawn 4/4 x 3.5" boards laminated and set on edge to create the quartersawn grain patterns.

The last question, the bevels on the rhoads for the fins.... how far in from the end of each fin to place the bevel apex, what is the angle of the bevel vertically AND horizontally, and when it terminates, does it just disappear, or have a slight round off to it?

The shops around here do not carry high end Jackson's and the one shop that does have one will not let me take measurements.

Greetings all,

New builder from Texas here. Have been upgrading/customizing/repairing my own guitars for 26 years now. Mainly electronics/hardware stuff. Decided to take up actual builds now. I am currently drawing out two plans to begin building soon. One will be a RR1 clone, the other a Double V done in all mahogany. I have some questions regarding the neck construction for the RR clone.

Looking at pictures I found on other sites of Jackson factory tours, the necks are constructed differently than my initial thoughts on 3 piece necks. They take the quartersawn neck blank, scarf the headstock, and glue a third piece of wood to create the body thickness. If I am using a 13* scarf that breaks approx 2/3 between the nut and fret one, and continues until it would come out at the top of the neck real close to being under fret 2 with 4/4 lumber, it seems that I will have to trim the headstock piece to thickness and blend that into the neck. Only asking because I have yet to see anyone demonstrate scarf joints this way except looking at Jackson's necks. I am using the neck from my Dinky for reference. Am I describing this correctly?

The Double V will be built utilizing the 3 piece method Neal Moser discusses on his website. 3 flatsawn 4/4 x 3.5" boards laminated and set on edge to create the quartersawn grain patterns.

The last question, the bevels on the rhoads for the fins.... how far in from the end of each fin to place the bevel apex, what is the angle of the bevel vertically AND horizontally, and when it terminates, does it just disappear, or have a slight round off to it?

The shops around here do not carry high end Jackson's and the one shop that does have one will not let me take measurements.

Damn Texans invading this forum. :D Welcome, what part of Texas? Many of us here.

From San Antonio. Yourself?

Greetings all,

Damn Texans invading this forum. :D Welcome, what part of Texas? Many of us here.

I'm from McKinney, up north of Dallas. I think MiKro's from Dallas too. (Incidentally, Mike, have you heard of lint.org? I went to my first meeting Saturday.)

I don't have those dimensions, but if you're looking to replicate the design, you could try ordering these templates:

http://www.guitarbuildingtemplates.com/Famous-Guitarists.htm

Welcome to the forum!

Yeah I have seen his templates, but the crotch area of the body doesn't look right. The design from guitarbuildingtemplates.com looks more like a combination of Rhoads white Concord with the upper tail length of his black Original Sin version. Might just be the picture though. I have full sized printouts of the RR1 that I am basing my plans off of, its the bevels I am having a time with. I'll figure it out.

Thanks though.

I'm from McKinney, up north of Dallas. I think MiKro's from Dallas too. (Incidentally, Mike, have you heard of lint.org? I went to my first meeting Saturday.)

I don't have those dimensions, but if you're looking to replicate the design, you could try ordering these templates:

http://www.guitarbuildingtemplates.com/Famous-Guitarists.htm

Welcome to the forum!

Yep I'm in Dallas, and yep I've been a member of LINT just never made it to a meeting. They are always in some obscure location for me.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...