Guitar Strings

silasklug

what kind guitar strings people use  

65 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

i like fender strings after playing aroudn with diffent brands i found that

1 there cheap

2 once they streach out they stay in tune

3 there cheap

4 they last

btw quick tip if your unwound strings are rusting just get a cotton ball with some metal polish and run up and down them a few times you can get much longer life out of them.

ok yeah im a cheap bastard that is too lazy to change strings.

Honestly, I think this is a topic we don't consider enough. I mean, we'll debate all day about the tonal differences between ash and alder, and then throw some old barbed wire on for strings. But shouldn't strings influence tone to a far greater degree than wood? I say absolutely yes.

But shouldn't strings influence tone to a far greater degree than wood? I say absolutely yes.

I disagree...strings are just "bright" or "not so bright"

But aside from that,this is,like,the 5th poll on strings in my time here,so I suspect most people do have a preference for one reason or another...I think GHS boomers and D'addarios are too bright and jangly,and Fenders are too flat...Dean Markelys are just right.

Wes, with deference to your experience, I suggest you tell a bass player that. Saying there's no difference between hex core, round core, flat wound, etc., not even accounting for the myriad alloys on the market...isn't it kind of like saying wood is simply "bright" or "warm?" Even in this post, you described strings as "jangly" and "flat." Just saying.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Maybe because strings are all made out of the same material and with only slight manufacturing differences..and because the differences in "tone" between brands of strings are minimal...and maybe because if you don't like a set of strings changing them out only costs about $5 and takes about 10 minutes.And maybe "no thought whatsoever" is an inaccurate assessment.

You are stuck with the wood you use.

Wes, I know that some people consider strings more than others do, but if you're really chasing tone, it seems worthwhile to consider it more than we often do. Sorry, it's a pet peeve of mine.

As for all strings being more or less the same, well, here's DR's lineup of electric guitar strings, which I think speaks for itself:

http://www.drstrings.com/catalogs/electric-strings

There's a lot more that price in my decision itd just I found cheap strings I like. I also like dr's but find that the cheap fenders last two to three times longer. So why not save 10 to 15 dollars. I don't like di addario's they don't feel right and that's more important than tone to me any way.

As for all strings being more or less the same, well, here's DR's lineup of electric guitar strings, which I think speaks for itself:

I disagree.you have roundwounds and flatwounds,and you have different gauges...then you have some that are brighter than others because of whatever tempering they go through.as far as "tone"the only difference in any of them is how bright they are.

Other than that,there is the feel of them under your fingers.My personal preference is a tightly wound roundwound(for feel)and a less than "bright" sound..not too "jangly"

That is really all there is to it.And you can change them easily and inexpensively,so I still see it as the biggest non-issue in guitar building.Absolutely the least important thing in building,because no matter who the guitar is for or how many times it changes hands,your preferred strings are only $5 and 15 minutes away

And when you talk about DR's "lineup",some of those are only about the color coating,and all of the others are only about gauges...and sometimes they match a heavy bottom with a light top and give it a peppy name to get you to spend your money on their brand instead of someone else's...

Don't confuse salesmanship with substance.In my 21 years of string buying I just find what I like and stick with it..Don't ever get too attached because they change the production methods from time to time and then all of the sudden your strings feel different.

If you want to stress over strings,be my guest...but you won't find me worrying about it.A musician just becomes accustomed to what is available,and that is that.