Les Paul Modification

No,dude,don't do that..all you will be doing is ruining a valuable instrument(if it is a Gibson)..To be honest,I feel like your post is just meant as a joke or something..

Just on the off chance that you are somehow serious,I will offer up these two suggestions

1) sell the guitar and buy one with a more comfortable feel...I suggest an SG,because they are similar to an LP on the fretboard,but are much more comfortable...

or

2)buy some of these that James is wearing

James_Hetfield.12.08.09.jpg

No,dude,don't do that..all you will be doing is ruining a valuable instrument(if it is a Gibson)..To be honest,I feel like your post is just meant as a joke or something..

Just on the off chance that you are somehow serious,I will offer up these two suggestions

1) sell the guitar and buy one with a more comfortable feel...I suggest an SG,because they are similar to an LP on the fretboard,but are much more comfortable...

or

2)buy some of these that James is wearing

James_Hetfield.12.08.09.jpg

I'm not sure you understand. I'm not worried about ruining the value, it's the tone I care about. As long as it sounds the same, I'll probably keep it forever. And I've been trying to sell it for a long time, and it's pretty tough to get a buyer at a reasonable price, so thats not really an option

Ok, so I have this les paul classic that I don't really play anymore because the edges feel sharp (I'm not sure that's the best word to describe it), and it's uncomfortable to play. So i was wondering, if I sand around the back so its smoother, would that have a serious effect on the tone of the guitar?

What edges? On the fretboard? the side? explain in more detail? :D

yeah, if its fretboard edges then its a really easy fix that wont harm value if done well

If its the bound front of the body, the job wont be easy without finish work. You say you wont ever sell it so value doesnt matter, but already you are not getting on with it so maybe its just not for you.

or are you talking about adding a gut cut around back - still a big job with refinish work, value will still be greatly reduced... but i dont think that is as bad an idea as rounding off all the body edges

i am guessing that after doing the mod the guitar may still feel uncomfortable as les pauls are inherently bulky things. which will either lead to you chasing further mods to try and make a les paul something its not, or you will realise you find other guitars much more suited to you and be stuck with a LP you never play and cant sell

dont worry about tone - it wont be any change you can hear unless you carve a significant proportion of the body away

I'm not sure you understand.

Oh I understand completely...At least once a year I see a guitar somewhere for sale that somebody was foolish enough to ruin and now it can't be sold.I once saw a Robin in a pawn shop that somebody had routed in to to add a battery and defaced the entire instrument.If you were talking about an ESP or an Epiphone or something that really has no heritage value it would not matter,but when you are talking about Gibson,you are talking about a guitar with the highest resale value of any production guitar...the Harley Davidson of guitars,really..I know alot of people disagree about the quality of them,but the value is a fact.

I can guarantee that if you were to sand down those uncomfortable body edges that the LP is so notorious for,you would not get the feel you are looking for,and you will still not like it(as Wez says they are inherently bulky guitars),and every time you take it out in public somebody will confront you about what you did,and you will end up saying things like "I bought it like this at a garage sale" just to avoid the embarrassment.

I have owned and played a few LPs...they are very uncomfortable to me..

I am all for modding the hell out of anything and everything,but what you are talking about is a huge mistake.

it's pretty tough to get a buyer at a reasonable price

I once took a 5 year old LP to guitar center and they gave me 80% of the original price I paid for it new.

http://www.ehow.com/about_6762043_les-paul-classic-vs_-standard.html

The thing you may not realize is that an original untouched Gibson LP has the potential to one day(in your lifetime) be worth quite a bit

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gibson-Les-Paul-25-50-one-100-Flame-Tops-1978-NEW-OS-/250880489874?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item3a69a47992

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gibson-Les-Paul-Collection-11-Guitars-4-Vintage-cases-/120782086308?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c1f2c60a4

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1957-Gibson-Les-Paul-Goldtop-/150655695491?pt=Guitar&hash=item2313c77a83

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1955-Gibson-Les-Paul-Standard-Brown-Top-RARE-/170699165614?pt=Guitar&hash=item27be768fae

So do what you want,but one day you may want to cry over it