Headstock Design

I realize it's all been done before, but I value subtle originality in headstock designs. This is a classic design with more or less straight string pull. You guys are a wealth of knowledge with this stuff, and I wanted to ask if you've seen this one. I'm sure someone's done something almost identical at some time and some place in the world, but I don't think I've ever seen it.

BASSDSN-HEADSTOCK.jpg

Thanks for your help!

Once you try and put the tuners on I see problems. I don't think that desighpn lends itself to straight string pull.

Well, sure, the geometry's off, it wouldn't function well in reality, and it's completely non-functional, but doesn't it look cool?!

v.2 (optimized for reality)

BASSDSN-HEADSTOCK2.jpg

It looks similar to the PRS Santana headstock design, though a little different.

Good call. It does look like the PRS Santana, though the key difference is that the PRS design is much better. :D

30U-14290_headstock-front.jpg

Edited by dpm99

nothing wrong with a slight splay to the strings

it doesn't look like anything in particular - just a rather generic 3-aside. slightly more modern version of a gretsch or john birch headstock

Generic is kinda what I was going for. It really does share a lot in common with a John Birch headstock, doesn't it? That makes me like it a little more, actually.

Visually I'd like it to be a bit longer. More wood at the upper end.

Huh. It's already 7" long - at least v.1 is. That's the length of a steel string headstock, and longer than most electric 3x3s.

looks a little like the Carvin carved top headstock

Woah! Good eye, jbis. It looks very similar. But that one's flat across the top, so there's a little difference.

ct3-closeup-large-3.jpeg

I like it. The first one was going to be a problem because the tuners were too close together, but you got that sorted.

SR

Thanks to Tim for that. I knew I hadn't drawn the tuners to scale, but I didn't realize I was as far off as I was. I think that string pull is straight enough to avoid getting snagged in the nut on bends, so long as I cut the slots correctly.

The first version looks a bit like Myka's:

22.jpg

There are ways to achieve straight string pull without having a narrow design on the headstock, anyone remember the Yamaha AES820? I guess it had longer whatever they are called in English, the thing that connects the tuner button and the gearing on the tuner...

AES820b.jpg

David Myka is a bit of a hero to me and many others here, so any similarity between anything I design and something he's done I'm going to choose to view as a sign of progress on my part. His is still a little different than mine.

I'd wonder where Yamaha was sourcing those tuners, except they're Yamaha. I definitely dig that design.

Thanks for point those out, pukko.

David Myka is a bit of a hero to me and many others here, so any similarity between anything I design and something he's done I'm going to choose to view as a sign of progress on my part. His is still a little different than mine.

I'd wonder where Yamaha was sourcing those tuners, except they're Yamaha. I definitely dig that design.

Thanks for point those out, pukko.

Yeah, he builds some amazing instruments! The tuners on this Yamaha model were Sperzels. I read somewhere about some other guitar maker (I think it was Ron Thorn but I'm not sure) who ordered Sperzels with longer whatever they're called to achieve a similar effect as on the Yamaha.