Cab Plans

Razbo

Sorry. I'll be the first to admit guilt in doing this far too much. :D

Back on topic: I think that as previous posters have mentioned, using solid woodworking skills (whether dovetails, lap joints or whatever) and using the correct internal volume for the drivers in question you can pretty much use whatever cab design you want. For myself I have wanted a relatively compact angled 2x10 cabinet in the same style as stage monitor for some time. Perhaps starting with the drivers I can work the volume backwards, figure out basic dimensions and from thereonin devise a structurally economical-but-solid structure which houses an amp (like a GK MB-200 for example) carrying handles and connectors. Fun projects I bet, and good for keeping basic woodworking skills sharp.

Sorry. I'll be the first to admit guilt in doing this far too much. :D

Back on topic: I think that as previous posters have mentioned, using solid woodworking skills (whether dovetails, lap joints or whatever) and using the correct internal volume for the drivers in question you can pretty much use whatever cab design you want. For myself I have wanted a relatively compact angled 2x10 cabinet in the same style as stage monitor for some time. Perhaps starting with the drivers I can work the volume backwards, figure out basic dimensions and from thereonin devise a structurally economical-but-solid structure which houses an amp (like a GK MB-200 for example) carrying handles and connectors. Fun projects I bet, and good for keeping basic woodworking skills sharp.

I thought it was hilarious, actually.

Aside from tonal quality, the restiction I always run into trying to get cabs smaller is making something that will fit a 'full size' head. Too small hurts the bass response, too big gets boomy, so standard width cabs are interesting to design. I find this with both open and closed back, although closed obviously is more affected.

Like everything else, it seems to be a struggle for balance.

Thanks for the replies and links everyone. It's great to know what Cab Calloway is up to as well, 'cause I was wondering that. :D