Clear Coat Peeling Away, Need Help !

pauliemc

Congrats on the GOTM win Paul!

Scott

Thanks Scott. So when are we gonna see something else from your & the bear ?

I've got a nice piece of ziricote that is begging to become a top. I'll start when I finish Molly....so in a few months perhaps.

I'll be getting in touch with RAD about some rails too.

SR

I read some of the replies, but I can tell you that you are waiting too long for the last clear coat. Most paint manufacturers recommend between 5-15 min flash time between coats. Anything more than that and you have to sand with 1500 grit in order for the last coat to adhere. Other than that, I think that there could be a possibility that the base coat is not compatible with the clear you are using.

At what temperature you are painting? I have painted with 2K paints at close to 65 degrees outside with no booth at all without any problems. Those paints are not meant solely to be baked. 75% or more of the car painters don't have an oven.

Here, not a guitar but I painted this lowers at about 65 degrees.

DSC03690.jpg

DSC03691.jpg

DSC03697.jpg

The day before this happened, and they still cured fine.

DSC03660.jpg

With 2K the most important thing is time. You need to follow it, if you let the paint dry, it will not stick unless you scuff it. Temperature is also important, but that is why they sell different temperature reducers, so you can adjust how fast or slow it will flash depending on the temperature you will be spraying.

I don't have a booth, and never had an issue with my guitar, motorcycle or car paint at all.