Back Route Body W/ Pickguard?

So this might be an obvious question, but here goes. I'm thinking about slapping a pickguard on one of my guitars for no other reason than I can't stand the pickup rings around the two humbuckers (It's an Ibanez RG). Pickguards are easy to find for these and I'm just going to assume that they are mostly a uniform shape since the bodies are all pretty much identical.

Here's the thing, to accommodate for the pots and the selector switch, I would need to get rid of some wood on the body. I'm wondering if by doing this it's going to have a significant impact on the sound of the guitar... even though it would just be a tiny bit of wood done away with, would it be a bad idea to have a hole that goes all the way through the guitar where the electronic cavity is?

theres a company i dont remember the name but they sell a kit for strats where you rout the back and put a cover on it then you pop that cover off and have a bunch of dip switches that so you can change configurations on your pickups. its one of those million and one combos you just pick your favorite five things. any way they dont seem to have a problem.

Cool. Well, I'll probably just go for it. I do like hard mounted pickups, but I don't want to bother with trying to hide the screw holes from the pickup rings. Plus now I will get to choose a snazzy pickguard to make this otherwise plain guitar a little cooler. I guess this will be one of those 'point of no return' decisions :D