Cnc "rough Necks"

HuntinDoug

These necks are the Beta version of the necks I will be offering on my site in early 2012. They will be called "Rough Necks" on the website. They are straight off the CNC and still have witness marks from the 1/2 ball nose end mill. The stepover was set at .025", so they are easily sanded out. They are a comfortable "C" shape with a small flat edge. The edge is easily removed with a scaper after the fretboard is glued on. All necks have a 13 degree headstock with voloute, and sport no scarf joint. The TR channel is milled out. Headstock thickness is approx .6". Again... these are not "turn key" necks, they will require some minor hand work.

Some of these have some very minor issues. All are easy fixes. I am offering these here cheap. I'm looking for feedback. If they dont sell...it's off to fleaBay. PayPal only. I prefer to ship to the lower 48 states on this batch. Later batches will go international. Email me with questions, or orders.

Pick of the flat edge:

n13.jpg

All the necks from this batch are gone. I will have another batch in approx. 1 week

Neck # N-8 SOLD B) I will miss this one

Mahogany with maple accents. (also shown above)

Scale = 25.5"

Nut width = 1.75"

Bridge width = 2.125"

Heel height = 1.5"

Headstock length = approx 8" x 5"

Issues = A very minor "buldge" from a mid run tool change (highlighted). I wont be heartbroken if this one doesn't sell :D

$75.00 + actual shipping

n8.jpg

Next up...

Neck # N-9 SOLD

Tiger maple with mahogany accents.

Scale = 25.5"

Nut width = 1.75"

Bridge width = 2.125"

Heel height = 1.5"

Issues = None

$60.00 + actual shipping

n9.jpg

Next up...

Neck # N-10 SOLD

Rock maple with mahogany stripe & accents.

Multi Scale = 27" / 25"

Fretboard = Figured Tigerwood with faux binding

Radius = 16"

Nut width = 1 11/16"

Bridge width = 2.125"

Heel height = 1.5"

Issues = A very small bandsaw mark on the heel. This neck will need scraped approx .020" to meet the fretboard on both sides.

$150.00 + actual shipping (comes with a plexi ABM bridge template)

n10.jpg

Next up...

Neck # N-11 SOLD

Mahogany with maple stripes

Scale = 25.5"

Nut width = 1.7"

Bridge width = 2.125"

Heel height = 1.5"

Issues = A bandsaw mark on the heel. The back contour will need sanded slightly more than the other necks. It is also slightly mis-indexed, so the stripes are not evenly spaced. What can I say...it's the first one I ran :D . Would be a perfect neck for a painted project.

$30.00 + actual shipping

n11.jpg

And lastly...

Neck # N-12 SOLD

Rock maple with mahogany stripe & accents.

Scale = 25.5"

Nut width = 1.75"

Bridge width = 2.125"

Heel height = 1.5"

Issues = A small bandsaw mark on the heel. It is also has a small void (.1" x .3") in the mahogany near the voloute. It looks like a small knot. It does not go through to the front, and is not a structural problem. Easily fixed with a back plate veneer.

$40.00 + actual shipping

N12.jpg

Edited by HuntinDoug

I have emailed, i did actually Pm earlier but then saw you prefer emails in the other thread

I wouldn't risk shipping rosewood at the moment, but i reckon the woods used here should be cool - and its a mostly finished product rather than raw wood. The problem with Indian rosewood seemed to be that it needed a bit more processing than they were giving it i.e. fretboards would have been fine, fretboard blanks were not

Stewmac lists both slotted and unslotted rosewood as being available to ship outside the US, the only thing they have marked as not exportable is honduras mahogany.

(they dont list the rosewood as indian on the fretboard page, but they do list it as indian on the headstock veneers page)

I thought the problem with Gibson was that is was indian law the feds were trying to enforce not US law? (the law being export of unfinished fretboard blanks is illegal).

and so if Doug has bought the wood in the US legally he should be able to slot and export the wood to the UK no problem.

According to wiki,

In June 2011, the United States Department of Justice filed a civil case against Gibson, stating: "Gibson sourced its unfinished ebony wood in the form of blanks (for use in the manufacture of fingerboards for Gibson guitars) from Nagel (in Germany), which obtained it exclusively from Roger Thunam (a supplier in Madagascar). Madagascar prohibits the harvest of ebony wood as well as the exportation of unfinished ebony wood." The filing also made mention of internal emails from 2008 and 2009 that discussed ebony species from Madagascar and plans to harvest it.[26][27] The case against Gibson Guitar was the first under the amended Lacey Act, which requires importing companies to purchase legally harvested wood and follow the environmental laws of the producing countries regardless of corruption or lack of enforcement

Gibson Guitar's offices and factories in Nashville and Memphis were raided again by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife on August 24, 2011, although no details were released about the nature of the raid or what was found due to the ongoing legal proceedings.[23] However, according to a statement issued by Gibson Guitar the following day, these raids focused on rare wood imported from India.[30][31] In the release, Juszkiewicz lashed out at the Justice Department, claiming that it was "bullying Gibson without filing charges" and stating further: "Gibson is innocent and will fight to protect its rights. Gibson has complied with foreign laws and believes it is innocent of any wrong doing. We will fight aggressively to prove our innocence." He also criticized the government's use of the Lacey Act because it interprets and enforces the laws of other nations, in this case India.
Edited by Neil Beith

orgmorg posted this yesterday:

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=45909

Now if LMI are being investigated there is quite likely going to be a knock on effect on most guitar builders - it wont just be a Gibson problem for much longer

Apparently customs are tightening up a bit and more things are getting stopped... and I really don't think it will be long before international trade in some woods becomes very difficult. lets say i want to sell some santos rosewood (pau ferro). Its a relatively abundant wood and comes from south america so there shouldn't be any legal problem - but are the customs guys going to have a clue or is anything with the 'rosewood' tag going to be stopped

i see gibson are releasing more guitars with cooked maple fretboards.

I'm not positive, but I think it's mainly ebony & rosewood that is the issue. Besides, what is the worst that can happen...the Feds shutting me down?

Well, that and having to foot the bill for their services.

If your shipment is inspected and they decide you don't have the proper documentation, or haven't filed the right papers and paid the accompanying fees, they can pretty much make you life hell if it fits their bureaucratic needs.