building my neck through guitar

Your guitar seems to be coming along alot faster then the bass I'm making. I must be lazy. :D:D

Looks like you started on Jan 11, I started my bass about a month earlier, and right now it looks like we are at around the same level of completion. B)

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah well..the last week i have done nothing but wait on tools...and i am pretty lazy so i will be lucky to get it fretted this weekend....at the same time i am trying to "expand my musical horizons" with some joe satriani

i think you will probably catch up...especially when i get to the drop top

i have sipo mahogany, bubinga, rock maple and ebony for my neck thru project. plus it is going to be a baritone. i have put all these woods together and they way a lot, i am talking like 4-5kg. on average, how much do neck thru guitars weigh?

my purple heart neck thru weights 7.5 pounds, with no hardware just the truss rod in teh slot, the fingerbaord isn't ready yet and the back isn't completely shaped yet.. but still.... it's pretty heavy, i'm considereing resawing 1/4" off the back so i can drill a buch of holes like a honey combe to lighten it up a bit then glue the back, back on

Guest Litchfield Custom Gutars

I did not know that...good to know. Looking foreward to the finished product wes. Perhaps we should move some threads to the new section?

Guest Litchfield Custom Gutars
well it will be a bit longer before i can continue...i have to wait on a tool to come in :D

Yeah, I caught that. Have fun with the satch...to avoid getting a FRED pup, just stop your wah in the middle.

• 2 weeks later...

okay...got my tools and had some good weather so here goes

new_0001.jpg

this is my maple top soaking in hot water,as has been suggested before by litchfield...it worked very well...i soaked it for maybe 1/2 hour,dried the surface off with a paper towel,and clamped it to the surface of my guitar's arm rest for a few hours,then took it off and let everything dry,then glued and clamped...it should be noted that it wasn't perfect at first and after about 10 hours i had to unclamp it,inject hot water into the bad area,and reclamp just that area until dry(overnight)

new_0004.jpg

new_0005.jpg

as you can see...now it is good

new_0003.jpg

this is after i rough carved the neck join with a hammer and chisel

more later

Guest AlexVDL

Very nice work Wes... you're still the mann!!!! :D

But I noticed the small gaps between the neck and the maple top... what are you going to use to fill them? Just epoxy or woodfiller? Or does it look bigger in the pics than in person?

Anyways, this is a really beautiful guitar!!!