Spraying Neck-throughs

Ripthorn

I've done a couple neck-through builds, but one had a wipe on finish and the other was done rattle-can style. I've got another one that I am going to use my new-ish spray rig on. I am just wondering if all you smart people out there had any cool techniques or jigs for spraying neck-throughs, particularly in the horns and other hard to reach places. Pictures would be great.

Sure do... A piece of wire

I have sprayed dozens of neckthru's and over time got a order inplace.

Masking done and the guitar I hang through one of the tuner holes

First I spray the top of the headstock (part facing the roof)

Side one of the headstock all the way down to the heel (if its a V then all the way down to tip)

Side two of the headstock all the way down to the heel

Front of the headstock

Rear of the headstock all the way down the center of the neck to the heel

I then come in at an angle and hit the inner horns from the tip down

I spray the edges/sides now from the tip of the horn downwards through the curves back to and past the center of the bottom (where the strap pin would be) To get this I grab the guitar (I wear nitrile gloves whenI spray) by the inside of the pickup and bridge routes and tilt it as I'm spraying so the bottom of the guitar is verticle by the time I get to it. Make sure you lift it straight so the wire doesnt rub the headstock. Ive never had it rub as I try make the wire hang wide, but I'm just laying caution!

I then hold the wire up above the headstock to stop the guitar swinging whilst I spray the front and rear of the guitar.

Thats not a "spraying" video but you can see how the guitar is hanging in my spray room

IMG_1330small.jpg

If you really need to to see it, I could probably get my other half to film this process on my iphone so I can post a vid. It'd be a dry run (no paint)as I'd get overspray all other the phone and I couldnt talk with a paint mask on! You'd see the steps involved though.

If you really need to to see it, I could probably get my other half to film this process on my iphone so I can post a vid. It'd be a dry run (no paint)as I'd get overspray all other the phone and I couldnt talk with a paint mask on! You'd see the steps involved though.

You should do that anyway. Payback for makin you build her the shop :D

But the fact that 90% of us on here would not have anything like your skill with a gun is another good reason. Nothing like seeing it done. Little things, like speed of movement when laying a coat, angle of the gun, distance from surface to be painted bla bla bla.

Its amazing how much you can learn from watching someone that knows their stuff.

I say do the vid. Pleeeease :D

Ok, I'll see what I can come up later today.

Anything else paint related you want me to touch on in the vid?

I just want it to be known I dont see myself as a paint expert by any means. But I'm willing to share what I know and at the same time learn from anyone I can

Here you go. Broken up into two quick clips.

I hope someone learns something.

Part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWQmZwQL2ik&feature=channel_video_title

Part 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7Il74_cc0E&feature=channel_video_title

Edited by demonx
  • Like 1

That is awesome. For some reason, I never thought of rotating my fan pattern. I'll give that a go. I'm going to be putting shellac on the thing soon as a sealer, so I can practice somewhat harmlessly with that. Thanks again, I learned a good bit.