Making a peghead w/out scarf joint

Snork

Ok guys i met a kickin' luthier the other day at the place i go to to do all of my jointing and planing plus a few other things i cant do at home. this dude was working on 4 KICK ass guitars at once and i was like :-0 and at the same time i was building my neck. He showed me an alternative way to build my peghead and my neck and make it look beautiful. Its where you make cuts of the wood and glue them together and then just profile the peghead. I asked him wont this lead to a problem with short grain? and he said no way, not when you do it the proper way. So, he explained it and even wrote it out for me.

OK it goes like this. In your neck most likely you are not going to be able to get an 8/8 piece of quarter sawn STABLE wood. so if you want to get a non warping purdy neck with accents you should do it this way.

<--- l l l --->

This represents the way the grain on the neck should go. look on the ends of the pieces of wood. Look at the wood so that it looks like this

llllllll

llllllll

llllllll

llllllll

llllllll

llllllll

which is the way that you should glue the wood. So then you determine which way the grain is going on the wood. ok now i am trying to give examples of what the grain looks like

llllllll

lllllll

llllll

llll

llll

llllll

lllllll

llllllll

it should go on the left as it is like this <----

where as the piece that is closest to being quartersawn or.

llll

llll

llll

llll

llll

llll

should go in the middle. btw no piece even of quarter sawn is going to be perfectly straight. And finally the piece that goes on the far right shold look like this

l

lll

lllll

llllllll

llllllll

lllll

lll

l

as it is pointing --->

This way the 2 warps cancel eachother out essencially. This allows you to build a neck completly out of curly maple with virtually no worries. and allows you to cut the headstock out without fear of short grain although i still would recommend a volute. And BTW fender gibson PRS all use flat sawn single pieces of wood so the grain looks like

--------------------

.....---------------

.....-----------

..... -------

its rounding downwards. Despite my poor ASII art. anyways at least with fenders you can remove the neck as it is a bolt on but with prs/gibson you are screwed because the neck is glued in. so there you have it. my lame attempt at a tutorial.

i hope i at least helped someone.

visit this dudes site at www.jeppsonguitars.com HE MADE A CARRIBURST :-()

wow! ok people snorkster out.

Guest AlexVDL
Hey guys dont be so hard to Snork. Nothing but critique followed his attempt for a 3-piece neck tutorial. So I am the first one to say that I find your tutorial quite interesting and thanks for sharing.

no critics for his tutorial, it was great, but his language is bad all the time...

Wes asked nicely, so it didn't come hard at all.

I can understand when you're talking in real life you can accidentally say some bad words, but typing bad language... nah i don't believe that happens accidentally. Most of the time you read your own post before hitting the "Add reply" button, so every post is well prepared so you can easily remove any swearing....

This is not to offend Snork at all, but I like to keep the forum clean. It gives a more mature image!

Snork, don't feel bad. I really appreciate your effort to help others. :D

Hey guys dont be so hard to Snork. Nothing but critique followed his attempt for a 3-piece neck tutorial. So I am the first one to say that I find your tutorial quite interesting and thanks for sharing.

there WAS no critique!i just didn't have time to put a long post up because i was working on my project.i think it is great ,snork ,that you found a luthier to watch and learn from.i suggest you visit him as often as you can.alot easier to learn in person.

matter of fact i told him what it was called,told him i do it,and explained the one drawback to doing it...that is what learning is all about.as far as the language,that was only to keep the forum clean for others

it was hilarious. he was making a deep tenon neck for his guitar, and i asked him if he had heard of a direct coupling method of pickups. and lmao he goes "so i see you've been to ed romans site" I just started cracking up. it was hilarious. he really knows what hes talking about.

::::YAY:::: the shredder appreciates me. SWEET. no i understand. i fixed the swear.

alex IS quite the shredder, is he not?something funny...the first time i visited alex's website(way back before i started talking to him here)i saw that his nickname is "guitar guru" and i thought to myself"what!! who the heck is this",then i listened to his stuff and i thought"man...who is this guy and why isn't he putting out albums?"...i even made my wife listen to his stuff!

too much talent to waste ,alex...you need to start trying to promote yourself

i know he really is talented. my cousin is so talented but the kid REFUSES TO READ MUSIC. SH** he is such a talented musician. It makes me sad to see unrecognised talent. alex if i EVER meet a guy who puts out albums i will definately support your name. your speed song is incredible. i cant really stand listening to instrumental songs more than like 10 times at a time. but speed i listened to 20 times in a row. WHAT A SONG. it definately goes head to head with cool #9. you are the man. PLEASE send some into a radio station. here on the east coast we have actually one decently diverse music station. if you send a cd anywhere try sending it to 89.5 in the east coat. i forgot the name but maybe you can find out. i'd make a call iN!