Handmade Guitar Gear Community

mledbetter

Just an announcement about a new handmade guitar gear community we've started. I know several folks that are in business as small builders of guitars or related gear, and the idea here was to start a forum that can be used to raise awareness of the independent builders. You can check it out at www.handmadeguitargear.com It's brand new, so there isn't much there yet, but every forum started out empty at one time right? Check it out, and if you have some cool gear to post, let us see it - tell us who built it, and what you think of it. Thanks!

Just a suggestion. I thought from the name that the forum would be dedicated to handmade accessories, like straps and picks and stuff. It looks like just another guitar building site. Something to think about.

Thanks for the feedback! We will work on the "first impression" factor a little more. The basic idea is any gear that isn't mass production stuff. Could definitely include straps and all that stuff too.

What it won't be is a place to go check out someone's latest MIM strat or Boss pedals..

So basically you're just trying to start another version of projectguitar.com ??

Folks.. this site is in NO way another version of projectguitar. Project guitar is about building your own guitars - this forum is for people that appreciate hand built guitars, amps, stands, straps, pedals, etc.. I've tried to make that as obvious as possible for this very reason - i don't want people thinking i'm jsut trying to make another projectguitar site.

Case in point - a buddy of mine builds these kick-ass amplifier stands. Totally hand made. Where do you talk about something like that. ProjectGuitar isn't really the right place.. TDPri really isn't the right place.. Sure there are amp forums but that's more or less amp geeks talking about their tubes and speakers.. This is simply a way to build a community that addresses any and all handmade gear related to guitar, bass or other musical instruments. There is a boutique builder of hand made snare drums that would fit perfectly in that forum. That's all.

Hope that clears up any confusion. I hope a few people will check it out and start some discussions.

cheers,

Case in point - a buddy of mine builds these kick-ass amplifier stands. Totally hand made. Where do you talk about something like that. ProjectGuitar isn't really the right place..

You mean except that Josh at Atlas Stands posts his amp stand builds here and gets much love?

I simply mean that this forum is a guitar building forum, not that there isn't room to sneak some other things in as well. I've seen Josh's posts here - i told him about this forum. Josh has a growing company. He posts info about his products lots of places and the more opportunities he has to do so, the better. Same goes for any independent builder trying to get their name out there.

thus - the purpose of opening up the other forum. If people are annoyed that I have done that, or that I posted it here - then I do apologize.. But I did put it in the advertisement board - i thought that was where it was supposed to go :D

peace..

So basicly. Project gitir is where we all come to see how all these groovey gitirs are made, build threads etc. But Handmade gitir gear is where we go for finished instruments ONLY - no build threads.

But not just gitirs, bass, amps, violins, mandolins, uke's, banjos, effects pedals & rigs & a whole host (eventualy) of other things that are not mass produced.

Sounds good to me. Im already registered, Hope it goes well for you :D

Am I correct in thinking that this will be more for the people who appreciate such items and not necessarily those who build them? Of course those who build will go there, just want to make sure I have the right perspective on the place.

Am I correct in thinking that this will be more for the people who appreciate such items and not necessarily those who build them? Of course those who build will go there, just want to make sure I have the right perspective on the place.

Couldn't have said it better myself. We're also going to build a pretty good directory of small and independent builders on there, so in addition to what you mentioned above - it's a good way to go see who's out there and what they are building, if you are in the market for something.