Router, Bandsaw And Drill Press

Dylanwad

I'm looking to buy a router, bandsaw and drill press as I am (finally!) setting a workshop for myself. They need to be decent (do the job they are meant for) but not cost the earth. Something mid priced. I'm based in the UK so the suggestions need to be available here.

Thanks for your help.

Best advice I can offer is to buy the biggest and best your budget can possibly stretch to.

When looking at the bandsaw, look at the hight and make sure it's enough to run a big blank through, then look at the width, between the blade and the stand and make sure theres enough space to move a guitar body around. Also I suggest make sure it has roller bearing guides. not the plastic ones. I had the plastic ones on mine and they were ****, so I had to buy the roller bearing guides to upgrade.

When looking at the router, will need variable speed as I change mine for different timbers. look at adjustablity and how sturdy it is. They are bloody dangerous and you dont want to loose a finger cause you cheaped out on a cheapy router.

Drill press, same thing, adjustabilty and POWER. I bought the biggest cheap one I couild find, but if I bought another I would definitely not buy cheap again. It takes ages to drill a hole as it keeps jamming up and slipping all the time. It's just cheap crap.

• Like 1

Bandsaw: Look for power and cutting height. Don't skimp these. A resawing capacity of 7" to 8" should be plenty for guitar building.

Drill Press: Look for the distance between the column and the center of the drill point. If you ever build a string through, you'll need the extra capacity of a larger, floor standing drill press.

Router: A single speed router mouted in a home built table is the best. I have a Porter Cable and its been a solid performer. Porter Cable has a kit with two bases: the fixed base and plunging.

• Like 1

How does this look for a bandsaw?

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-axminster-awhbs250n-bandsaw-prod804528/

Dust extractor.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-axminster-rdc100h-vacuum-extractor-prod794272/

Still not sure about a router or pillar drill, how much should I look to spend on a decent ones? 1/4" router or 1/2" router?

If you can stretch your budget, I would suggest you go for a bigger bandsaw than 250mm. I've had small and bandsaws, and haven't been happy with them. I ended up with a second hand 14 inch 3 wheel bandsaw

http://www.drapertools.com/products/manuals/36761ins.pdf

It isn't bad, but the table is cast aluminium and has dipped slightly in the middle, also it is limited to 139mm depth of cut, and I'd rather have more.

In anticipation of having my operation at the end of March so I can start building again, I decided to upgrade to a 14 inch two wheel SIP 01548. This one allows up to 230mm (9 inches), which will be ideal for resawing tops for bookmatching. I got it at a very good price, £418.80, far cheaper than anywhere else http://www.twwholesale.co.uk/product.php/site/froogle/sn/SIP01548 . It should be here on Thursday :D

Full specs:

This machine is suitable for most workshop environments. The extra powerful 2hp induction motor on this machine enables it to maintain accuracy and to cut effectively up to its maximum depth. Dual speeds for efficient cutting of all types of wood, plastic and non-ferrous metal plus a large capacity cutting height of 230mm.

Motor - 1.5kW (2hp)

Supply - 230v (13amp)

Throat Width - 340mm

Table Size - 550 x 400mm

Table Tilt - 0º - 45º

Max. Cutting Height - 230mm

Blade Length - 2560mm

Blade Width - 6 - 25mm

2 Speed - 400 metres/min / 840 metres/min

Net Weight - 85kg

Packaged Dimensions (HxWxL) - 1260 x 420 x 560mm

Quick lock rip fence and Cross-Cut cast heavy duty mitre guide supplied as standard

Fully adjustable blade tensioning and tracking - with guide

Quick release cam tensioning system

Powerful dust extraction facility

Rack and pinion rise and fall brass-bearing guide

Large cast iron tilting table

Supplied with adjustable LED light, stand and heavy duty wheels

0º - 45º table tilt - rack and pinion adjustment

I'm really looking forward to making some sawdust at last :D

Yeah, I just looked at he pix and didn't check the specs. Mine is bigger than that: 12"- 305mm throat and 175mm re-saw height. I had one the size of what you're looking at once, but a guitar I was building ate it. You're going to want a bigger one.

SR

I looked at several 14 inch bandsaws with 175 - 180mm re-saw height, which would have been big enough, but they were more money that the SIP. There were a few on Ebay second hand, but they seemed to be going for around £380 - £400, hardly any less than I paid for the SIP, and I get a two year standard SIP warranty on mine :D

All I have to do now is re-arrange what I laughingly call my workshop (an old 12 foot caravan) to make room for it along side my 13 inch thicknesser, 6 inch jointer, pedestal drill, router table, belt sander, cupboards, shelves, and drawers. I just hope I end up with enough space to actually get in to do some work in there :D

Would this bandsaw do the trick?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-76236-230-Volt-370-Watt-2-Wheel/dp/B00205HB1O

Or this one? It's about 30 miles away from me.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/bandsaws-/290669977279?pt=UK_BOI_Building_Materials_Supplies_Carpentry_Woodwork_ET&hash=item43ad47debf#ht_563wt_1344

Also, when it comes to a pillar drill, how much distance does there need to be between the where the bit goes (chuck?) and the pillar. Most of the ones I've seen look very shallow.

I've looked at so many tools buy now I'm even more confused than when I started! :-\ :-[ I've got no idea at all.

I've seen talk of 1/2" and 1/4" routers too. What that about? Sorry for all the basic questions, if I can get past this maybe I can start making guitars!!!

• 2 weeks later...