My New Bandsaw Arrived Yesterday.

Mender

I've seen a few 14 inch bandsaws around, all fairly tall, but not massive. This SIP is enormous. As I can't lift anything with my left hand at the moment, I couldn't even attempt to lift the main unit off the floor, although I did stand it up off the pallet. Double hernia anyone? I carried all the bits round to my old caravan, and struggled with the table, cast iron and weighty. Then I had to wait for my next door neighbour to get home from work to get the main unit round there. He couldn't lift it off the floor, and he's a builder and lifts really heavy stuff all the time. We managed to borrow a sack truck to wheel it round on, but lifting it into the caravan was very difficult, but we finally managed it. I can't assemble it yet until I've had (and recovered from) the operation on my wrist, and then there will be a permanent cloud of wood dust over the area :D

Getting new huge tools is great.

Yea, it rocks.

I have a planer thicknesser that will handle 14 inch wide billets & a small CNC coming later this year. might have to extend the workshop :D

But man, I remember when I had no bandsaw. Bookmatching was an absolute bstrd. Arms n shoulders like a Greek God from all the bow saw work.

Now im a normal sized, fat-ish, unfit, squidgy weakling !! ha ha ha ha ha :D

Getting new huge tools is great.

Yea, it rocks.

I have a planer thicknesser that will handle 14 inch wide billets & a small CNC coming later this year. might have to extend the workshop :D

But man, I remember when I had no bandsaw. Bookmatching was an absolute bstrd. Arms n shoulders like a Greek God from all the bow saw work.

Now im a normal sized, fat-ish, unfit, squidgy weakling !! ha ha ha ha ha :D

I remember having to do that a few years ago. Not fun.

I use hand tools as much as possible to stay in shape. It beats actually working out B)

http://sauerandsteiner.blogspot.com/2011/12/magnificent.html

This is a true beast of an industrial upright bandsaw. In addition to the power needed getting those wheels up to speed, there is the issue of the shutdown....the inertia of those wheels then turns the motor into a massive electrical generator! The low friction preferred in a bandsaw's system also means that the wheels will continue to spin for a huge amount of time requiring a reverse braking phase to make the thing safe to turn your back on, preferably within the same week.

Immense things of beauty and danger. Awesome. :D