Another Sf3 Travel Guitar

Hey Y'all,

I'm finishing up my last custom ordered guitar. I figured I'd show it off as it's getting close to completion and has some weird stuff going on. I did one like this a few years back and I'm pretty sure it won GOTM. I'll post some pics of that one later on but for now here's the new one.

Front:

front.jpg

Black limba body and neck, claro walnut top. Steinberger tuners on the body with the ball ends at the headstock like the first one. I did a few things different on this one, the big one being combining the belly carve and heel into one big weird carve.

Starting to plan the carve...

travelRough.jpg

Roughed out... first on the end of the edge sander then rasps, files, palm planer, scrapers, and finally rough sand paper.

travelHeel.jpg

Final product, a little weird but I'm pretty happy with it.

travelHeel1.jpgtravelHeel2.jpg

Custom knobs, pickup rings and 3-way switch button by David King. I've made knobs and rings in the past but it's such a pain in the ass I'm willing to part with a few bucks to avoid the hassle. David King does awesome work and is pretty quick so I'm happy to send stuff his way.

knobsrings.jpg

Custom gig bag by Glenn Cronkhite in Berkeley.

bag.jpg

Love the black limba, I wish I knew where the he'll I could buy that stuff from.

I really like the carve of your heel, but where ghat little bit doesn't line up keeps catching my eye.

Your original one looks quite tasteful also. Very nice selection of timbers

Love the black limba, I wish I knew where the he'll I could buy that stuff from.

I really like the carve of your heel, but where ghat little bit doesn't line up keeps catching my eye.

Your original one looks quite tasteful also. Very nice selection of timbers

Thanks!

Not sure about the current supply but in the past I've got it from the local hardwood store, Woodworker's Source, Gilmer and Gallery Hardwoods.

I you're talking about the little block between the body and neck it drives me crazy too. I thought I had it lined up right but when I started carving it slowly went more and more out of alignment. Bummer!

Holy crap, that's one of the nicest travel guitars I've ever seen. I love the smooth, flowing design. WANT! :D

Easily the coolest headless iv ever seen in my entire life.

Its things like this that keep me coming to this forum

I love the neck join and carve. These are almost more artwork than guitar. From the rear they look like a sculpture of a candle flame.

Thanks a lot, guys!

That is so unbelievably cool Mr. French. You gonna do a production run of these as well? I'd think headless, reclaimed wood guitars would be pretty sweet.

Thanks! I'm not doing production runs of anything though. I'm happy if I can get 4-6 hours in the shop every third weekend. I doubt I will take these in the eco direction. Too much of the hardware is either imported and/or plated and that doesn't really fit the vibe for the SF3co guitars. I do want to do an SF3co bass at some point though.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...