Material Finish Issues

So I was hoping this Mixol would work... but I'm thinking it won't :D

I mixed up some and in 15ml of epoxy I put 10 drops and it was WHITE. That said... when I went to go put it on... when you get in thinned to the point of "this is how much epoxy I can leave on the surface" it might as well have been clear. I could leave more... but then good luck having a level surface!

Either way, I do have one test going. I took an off-cut of the Paulownia and an off-cut of the fabric and am doing a test swatch where I not only sealed the wood below the fabric with white epoxy, but also where I soaked the fabric in white epoxy too (the original plan was to have a white sealing/under coat and use clear for the actual glue-down). This MAY work. It didn't appear to "fog" up the fabric too much, and I'm guessing when it dries it'll get clearer. This method may have promise as I don't think it's white enough to really mess with the fabric's colors, but it is white enough to make the fabric not see-through in the white areas when it's 'wetted'.

I'll report back when the epoxy is dry tomorrow,

Chris

I should say though that i used that Famowood stuff with mixol in it a while back and it was extremely hard to level sand...just brutal.Funny thing is it layed down way more level than the T88..but I sanded on it for hours on hours trying to get it smooth

Whoa wait...I just saw you used 10 drops in 15 ml of epoxy?I only used one drop in a small batch about that size for those dots..it really doesn't take that much,but of course your results may vary and I know that you know very well what you are doing.

I believe that's the answer. Not sure this would work well for darker fabrics, but the white epoxy for the seal coat and soak/glue coat worked great on my test. It didn't turn it white, just made it not be see through when wetted and dried. It did give it a SLIGHT pastel feel (which actually works well for this design), so I'm going to try it with a little less white in it as when I do the real deal just to know for future use. You can sort of see what I'm talking about in the picture. Most has the white epoxy, but about the center of the diagonal there's a spot where only the seal coat was white epoxy. As you can see the blue is a little less pastel feeling, but it really is minimal.

f860025f.jpg

Chris