Project S9 Continued...

Using the router table is probably just as dangerous as any other method I have come up with. But I needed to do 10 necks in the same day. It worked very well with no tear-out and was pretty accurate. I was able to finish truing the faces in a few strokes on the cast iron sanding block.

P2170526.jpg

P2170527.jpg

P2170528.jpg

With the Red Witch possibly on her way to a new home I need to start a new mostly Padauk 6 string. After ripping up all the wood for the Express models I had enough Padauk for a 6 string. I also decided to add some purple heart to the project to try something different.

P2150497.jpg

P2150498.jpg

Your shop must be SO orange!

Chris

Dude you have no idea... I have orange f*ng dust everywhere. And when you hit it with acetone it turns a reddish purple so my fingers have a that tone. I left reddish purple all over the granite when I washed my hands.

I have to take my shoes off before entering the house.

On a side note I dropped one of those blanks on its end today and was reminded why I love padauk. The ring was deafening (and it was a musical ring at that).

You are turning into a regular production machine. Have you ever explained (here) what the various elements of your model nomenclature stand for?

SR

I am not sure I am production I am just getting a jump on this years orders. I have to spend the next few weekends getting the CNC to do some work so during the day I build blanks. At night I try and generate gcode and build pickups.

One thing I will say it takes some of the fun out of building... I spent all day monday leveling and truing up neck blanks. Nothing else.

The fun will come later in the summer when I can reach up on the shelf and grab a neck and body and do the fun stuff.

S906_6 == ModelStrings_Number

S9 -- Super Strat (32mm - 34mm thick depending)

06 -- 6 String

_6 -- Number <- basically the last number in the serial

I am only building one V and no Destroyers this year as there has been little to no interest in them.

V7 -- V

D5 -- Destroyer

One thing I will say it takes some of the fun out of building... I spent all day monday leveling and truing up neck blanks. Nothing else.

+1 to that.

Im just finishing up 40 neck & body blanks. I have to plane them all level/smooth over the next few days. all 5 piece laminate necks & only 6 bodies are one piece. Im having nightmares about planing & gluing. Realy need to get my CNC sorted koz right now I kinda hate guitars. Well maby I hate glue ups more than guitars. But building suks just now.

+1 to that.

Im just finishing up 40 neck & body blanks. I have to plane them all level/smooth over the next few days. all 5 piece laminate necks & only 6 bodies are one piece. Im having nightmares about planing & gluing. Realy need to get my CNC sorted koz right now I kinda hate guitars. Well maby I hate glue ups more than guitars. But building suks just now.

40. and I am complaining about 12.

Those Padauk neck blanks look great. Good quality Padauk is so hard to find in the UK and if you can find it its so expensive. I will be following your production.

Quality "anything" has become hard to find. This last batch was pretty good but nothing great. After a few years of buying local I can count on my padauk supply to be stable at this point. I have had great luck with it the past few years. It is cheap compared to some other woods here in the States. I can walk in to 3 different lumber stores and get quality pieces for less than figured maple. Looks amazing and is generally very musical (rings like a bell when tapped).

Price is why I started using it...now I continue to use it because it makes great guitars.

It has taken me a few years to learn how to build a good instrument with it. Common problems were tear-out, splintering, bleeding into other woods while sanding or finishing or cleaning (never hit it with acetone when it is next to maple), reacting with finishes, orange dust everywhere, hidden checks that spread after building, to top it off finished guitars sounded harsh and bright.

I have solved most of those issues with sharp tools and experience. Still haven't solved the orange dust...

Yea man. but there are ways of taking the edge off. Iv decided to get the fretboards from stewie mac. rough radiused & slotted. Save me a tonne of time. & I have a friend drilling/tapping all the parts for the truss rods.

Week after next, when all the blanks are done, I start building in batches of 3 guitars. thats when all the prep pays off :D

Yea man. but there are ways of taking the edge off. Iv decided to get the fretboards from stewie mac. rough radiused & slotted. Save me a tonne of time. & I have a friend drilling/tapping all the parts for the truss rods.

Week after next, when all the blanks are done, I start building in batches of 3 guitars. thats when all the prep pays off :D

I can't afford to pay Stew Mac for fretboards...

I wish I had a slave friend to help with this part of the builds but oh well it is what it is.

Which of your models will a 12.5" x 9.5' x 4/4 fit?

Oh.

9.5 FEET.

Er....nevermind. :D

SR

HUGE HUGE HUGE quartersawn board!!! I will post some picks when I get home.

I haven't seen a board this big this clean quartersawn in 20 years. I had to buy it. Even if it sits for years...

I had to have it cut into 3' and 6' so it fit in the front seat of the Honda (the better half has the SUV all the time).