Big Red

Muzz

This turned out to be a right classy looking guitar Muzz. I like the close up shots of the QL maple cleared and buffed. There's more to it than originally meets the eye.

Well done and cheers.

SR

:) The QLD maple does have some nice subtle patterns in the grain, I will post some shots soon, I think it is a good alternative to mahogany in a few ways,

Sweet guitar....classy

:) Gotta say the day that you finally put together a guitar that has taken a while to build feels good.

That's a really nice guitar. I'm really glad I followed this build.

Edited by Muzz

:) Glad to have you along for the construction, I think it has been about half a year, the last few weeks I felt like I was on the down hill run.

Looks awesome!

:) I must take some pictures in day light soon

groovey man. lookin real good. So now you have a red one to go with the blue one, you need a green one next

:) A green guitar with gold hardware does sound very Aussie

Looks faaan-tastic!

:) I used it at band practice last night, all OK

Nice job,Muzz

Cheers Wes, it came out very close to what I envisioned about 2 months in,

I noticed this pic of my plan today,

expectations

IMG_0323.jpg

reality

P8250949.jpg

P8250940-1.jpg

Here it is at about 10 o'clock last night

IMG_0448.jpg

Hey another thing I like about the GFS pups, they don't feed back on high gain when you stop playing, heaven. I also tried out a fat pat in another guitar, that thing nails the AC/DC sound.

So I can finally list the specifications with approx costs

Neck - one piece Queensland Maple $0 gift

Fretboard - Rosewood $0 gift

Body - 2 piece Queensland Maple $80

Machine Heads - Ibanez $0 from the parts box

Nut - 43mm $2.50

Pickups - GFS Crunchy Pat, 10K Neck, 14K Bridge $46 pair plus postage

Tremelo - Dr. Parts $25

Stain - Stew Mac red - $13, over Feast Watson Black $7.50

Finish - Rustins Plastic Coating $26

Edited by Muzz

Great tone therrr Muzz ! I dig the guitar completely.

Heya Mike, isn't always the way, you are making a guitar and all the way through you wonder what it is going to sound like when it is finished :)

I still have a Crunchy Pat sitting loose I need to put into something.I was thinking of a Charvel Model One tribute

That sounds like an excellent reason to me to make that guitar, should be cool B)

haha very cool man! sounds terrific!

:lol: I know, I am playing a song banned in every guitar shop in the world

Very nice guitar. I'm digging the GFS pickups. I have a bunch of their junk bodies & necks from the warehouse clearance sale I'm trying to resurrect, so I might be loading them with those.

Cheers Plinky, yep give them a go, unbelievable for the price :party

P828107811E.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Cool amp,dude..

Autumn has started down here..it's 66 degrees F here right now.2 days ago it was 104,so that's good

A nice change after the steamy ,summer, On Saturday I went into the shop and asked if they had a Blackstar 20, then asked if they had a sound proof room to try it out in. For about 40 minutes after that they probably regretted answering yes and no to those questions :D

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Cool amp,dude..

Autumn has started down here..it's 66 degrees F here right now.2 days ago it was 104,so that's good

A nice change after the steamy ,summer, On Saturday I went into the shop and asked if they had a Blackstar 20, then asked if they had a sound proof room to try it out in. For about 40 minutes after that they probably regretted answering yes and no to those questions :D

:D Rock the joint to the lathes till the plaster begins to fall!!:D

That guitar came out great Muzz, and I really love the ray fleck in the maple.

It's great looking wood!

What would you guess the instrument weighs in total?

Thanks,

John

Cool amp,dude..

:D Rock the joint to the lathes till the plaster begins to fall!! :D

That guitar came out great Muzz, and I really love the ray fleck in the maple.

It's great looking wood!

What would you guess the instrument weighs in total?

Thanks,

John

Heya John, it is nice grain isn't it, I can't capture the sparkle in photos, but the fleck does show up in a few of the pics. I was toying with the idea of putting some of this tiger myrtle veneer on the top but decided not to this time.

I just chucked it on the scales and it is a few grams over 3.5 kg, so no crick in the shoulder with this one :)

Cheers, Muzz

Edited by Muzz

That's a good weight for that build!

Glad you skipped the tiger myrtle veneer though as the chatoyance of the maple is the jewel right there.

Bet that thing glows in the sunlight, eh?

The thing sounds really good too...

You nailed that tone quite well!

Wont mention it to Axel or he could get mad :lol:

• Like 1