How To Lower Turn Resistance/ Friction/torque On Pots?

Uncle Os

Hey all...

Does anyone know how to convert CTS or Bourns pots (or any other pots for that matter) so they turn super easily? Don't get me wrong... I don't mind buying the EVH (Bourns) Low Friction Pots. I'm ok with that. A few folks have played on a couple of my customs that have/had the EVH pots in them. One of my regular guys just dropped off an SG and a Tele. He made a point of telling me he REALLY like the feel and wants to convert all of his guitars (He's got a house full of them) to the low friction, torque resistance type. The dilemma is... I've got a small truckload of CTS, Bourns and ALPHA pots and, you know... I'd like to be able to USE them. I'm going to start using them on everything and if someone wants the more resistive feel they'll have to ask for them special.

Any of y'all got any tips and/or tricks that might save me the time/expense of experimentation?

Respecftully,

Unc

Welp... I went over a couple of pots. The resistance comes from the shaft tolerances and the lubricant used. I like the Stewmac çap thingy but don't think the DeOxit is a strong enough solvent to get rid of that lubricant. Will try a couple of different methods and see what kind of results I get. If nothing else... It's a fun little experiment. :o)

Welp... My method failed. The results varried depending upon the brand of the pot. Soo... I guess I'll just give Bourns a call and get a bunch of Low Friction pots. :o/

At Westhemann... lol@ my bitch... Yessir. But... If folks experience that 'worn in' feeling on a new guitar... Ya get a few bonus points. :o)