corrosion and fingerboard scum

mj_gant

What do you use for rusted screws, hardware to gently remove corrosion and then seal from more abuse?

What does you use to clean off fingerboard scum? naptha...what else?

This is my personal recipe for cleaning natural wood necks (not finished Maple), FWIW...

I take a towel and lay the neck on the towel.

Using Naptha and a toothbrush, scrub that muthu down good.

Wipe dry. Do a second time if you think it needs it.

Let dry for about 1/2 hour for Naptha to gas off.

I use Stew-Mac's Fretboard Finishing oil, which is a film-finish, completely different than lemon oil. Apply with a soft towel and wipe excess back off.

*Lemon oil is really just mineral spirits w/ lemon scent added, that's it.

Mineral spirits take a few days to fully evaporate, but evaporate they do.*

I let the FFO dry for 24 hours.

Next day, I buff it with a towel, then crank up the dremel tool with the little buffing wheel attached and the red polishing compound.

First I buff the entire fretboard, avoiding the frets. No polishing compound yet, just the bare buffing wheel. It will start to gleam quite nicely. Keep it moving briskly, never stopping on any area in particular.

Then, I use the red polishing compound and the buffer wheel on the frets until they are gleaming like sin itself.

This is my recipe for a super-fast and comfortably smooth neck. :D

The only remedy I can think of for rusted hardware, screws etc. is just replacement. Some used chrome plated, some nickel/stainless but most are just plain steel.

You can buy stainless screws and cover with a thin film of petroleum jelly which will provide some protection from the elements. But already rusted screws are hard to get back to their original shiny look without taking material away. You could take them out and have a go with a wire wheel, or a very light sanding with emery cloth.

I take a towel and lay the neck on the towel.

Using Naptha and a toothbrush, scrub that muthu down good.

Wipe dry. Do a second time if you think it needs it.

Let dry for about 1/2 hour for Naptha to gas off.

I use Stew-Mac's Fretboard Finishing oil, which is a film-finish, completely different than lemon oil. Apply with a soft towel and wipe excess back off.

Excellent. :D Will do.