painting the pickguard

Hey!

My friend is gonna pay me to paint him some bad ass flames on his strat. I'm all up for it.....but theres one problem, i've never painted a pickguard before. And i just need a few questions asked...

If i sand the pickguard, will i be able to spraypaint on it like the wood?

Will the color stay if i do spray it?

And how will spray-on varnish stuff go on it? Will it be all lumpy and uneven?

Any suggestions will be accepted with open arms, cuz if this one turns out nice, theres about 3 others that will have me paint theres.

Thanks!

if you're gonna use spray paint, as in regular spray paint, it won't stick. That's why sherwin-williams (i think it is) makes a special spray paint specially formulated to stick to plastic. After that a few coats of aerosol clear coat (3.50 from the hardware store) will top it off. I'd go with like 5 coats, it doesn't go on very thick, so 5-10, 10 being a fail-safe. Don't use polyurethane, it wont stick to regular spray paint (i dont know why), but aerosol clear coat will.

I painted knobs and pickguard on a cheap strat clone I own a while ago. I don't remember what kind of paint it was, I just found myself a can of black spraypaint and tried it. It worked, but it scrapes of pretty easily. That might be helped if you prepare it a bit though. But I can't remember what type of paint it was.

if you're gonna use spray paint, as in regular spray paint, it won't stick. That's why sherwin-williams (i think it is) makes a special spray paint specially formulated to stick to plastic. After that a few coats of aerosol clear coat (3.50 from the hardware store) will top it off. I'd go with like 5 coats, it doesn't go on very thick, so 5-10, 10 being a fail-safe. Don't use polyurethane, it wont stick to regular spray paint (i dont know why), but aerosol clear coat will.

nay.... they will stick. ok what you'd do to get spraypaint to stick to plastic is #1 sand with 400 grit so that you have a rough surface. Then apply a thin dusting of a black spraypaint as a primer. let dry. then another THIN dusting of black spraypaint. then you spray on the decals. they should look fluid. you're most likely going to need to use multiple colors for it to look really cool. I'm not a fan of the flame stuff. but wahtever floats your boat. as for intricasy of your paint job you cant get to crazy with the simple spray can, you're going to need an airbrush set to get it down good.

yea, thats what i figured with the sandpaper stuff. I actually tested a little bit on plastic today, and it seems to be doing quite well.

And as far as spraypaint goes, don't worry bout it, I'm a mutha with color. I know, I'm a newb and you dont belive me. its cool. I'll have pictures up whenever i get started.