Using Oak In The Neck

Im really gassing for a good neck through build, so I am preparing to get all materials I need together.

Getting mahogany for the body and flamed maple for the top, and I was going to do maple/wenge/maple/wenge/maple laminate neck. Instead of wenge, is oak usable?

its not bad, I build a bass with a laminayed oak neck. I messed it up so I out it through some tests. I was able to put 250lbs on the neck without it giving and I then bounced a little on it. it took me jumping on the neck (headstock up on a curb mind you) for it to snap. I am currently building three guitars with oak necks and they look good imo. be sure to cut close to final dimensions before routing, routing can be a terd

its not bad, I build a bass with a laminayed oak neck. I messed it up so I out it through some tests. I was able to put 250lbs on the neck without it giving and I then bounced a little on it. it took me jumping on the neck (headstock up on a curb mind you) for it to snap. I am currently building three guitars with oak necks and they look good imo. be sure to cut close to final dimensions before routing, routing can be a terd

Cool thanks man.

Same reason it always comes up I imagine...Oak is plentiful

I do not like oak,mostly because I am a bit of a racist against oak trees because oak pollen kills me every year and oak dust is extremely invasive.I use milder woods.Like maple,mahogany,bubinga,alder,etc

I have two Kritz guitars that have oak CORE necks. By the I mean they CNC out a neck of some pretty wood, laid carbon fiber, threw in a 100+ year core piece, then capped it with a fretboard. Granted, this probably isn't the same use-case, but I do like how they sound...

Chris

I have two Kritz guitars that have oak CORE necks. By the I mean they CNC out a neck of some pretty wood, laid carbon fiber, threw in a 100+ year core piece, then capped it with a fretboard. Granted, this probably isn't the same use-case, but I do like how they sound...

Chris

How heavy is it? I usually hear someone say oak is to heavy fro most guitar uses.

Oak in a neck have been discussed a few times. A search should give you a lot of info and at least as much opinions

I will assume you are talking red vs white oak as the differences are huge (at least to me) and my experience white oak is not cheaper than lets say maple. All oak stains my hands from the tannin in the wood. I think red oak is cheap looking and filling pores on the wood is just a huge undertaking I would rather avoid at all costs. I have a stack of red oak in my shop that will alway be for other projects.

You have to say to yourself if manufacturers do not use oak on painted guitars because its cheaper there must be a reason. Learning about the properties of a species is knowledge that will allow you to make informed decisions on the section of woods you want to use in guitar construction. Every species has its positive and negative aspects as does oak. Most hardwoods are suitable for guitar construction, but not all hardwoods are used for guitar construction...

• Like 1

Not all Oaks are made equal. Is it a white or red Oak? Red Oaks have pores so enormous you can suck oil through the end grain from end to end on a block using just a shop vac. The other has closed grain. Other than that, quite similar. Plenty of good guitars have been made incorporating Oak, for example Brian May's Red Special plus many acoustic makers seem to treat it as an under-rated material. It is rather coarse for my liking.

Well gents, heres what I decided to do ->

5 Peice multi-laminate neck. Maple/Oak/Poplar/Oak/Maple. The oak is white oak, and will be stained black for the contrast. I will be using white oak stained black to do the fret board. Oak seems to accept stains well, and its a very strong and resonant wood. As mentioned it is also EXTREMELY available at lumber yards and supply stores around here.

Thank you all for your inputs! Searching around and digging up, oak seems to be the red-headed step child of the bunch, usually yeilding surprising results in the end :D Hopefully I can get some good results from this. Got a bunch of reading left to do though.

Anxious to see your results, and congratulations for being bold enough to go against the grain.

I've come across seemingly good results, and the only real "complaint" I've gotten to see is that the pores are really hard to fill. Thats no big deal to me, but I just want this neck to be strong as iron, and look cool too. I think the stained oak is a good idea.

edit: Id also like to clarify, I prefer a one peice neck vice a scarf joint. With this makeup, I can simply cut out a volute and angle the headstock from "one" piece :D

Edited by bob123

White oak stains beautifully especially when flat sawn and contoured across the grain. The pores are closer to medium, no where near as large as red oak and configured somehow so that they don't leak...? I'm not exactly sure how that works, but it is for that reason that white oak is the wood of choice for barrel making. It doesn't leak.

SR

White oak stains beautifully especially when flat sawn and contoured across the grain. The pores are closer to medium, no where near as large as red oak and configured somehow so that they don't leak...? I'm not exactly sure how that works, but it is for that reason that white oak is the wood of choice for barrel making. It doesn't leak.

SR

cool :D

I hope everything works out. Nothing done yet, but sooonnn :D Still planning everything to the smallest detail first B)

• 1 month later...

I'm coming in late, but here's my $0.02:

I'm an anti-voodoo guy for woods. I figure that if it's strong & stable enough to handle the load of the string tension, then it should do fine. For personal experience, I used red oak for a fretboard and I think it feels & plays just fine.

You have to say to yourself if manufacturers do not use oak on painted guitars because its cheaper there must be a reason.

I would bet that would be tool wear. Tonewood is a term coined during late eighties.

Still planning everything to the smallest detail first.

hehe, futile effort. :D

You have to say to yourself if manufacturers do not use oak on painted guitars because its cheaper there must be a reason.

I would bet that would be tool wear. Tonewood is a term coined during late eighties.

You hit the nail on the head on both counts. Oaks are also a bit prone to tearing and chipping out.