Problem With Decal

hallo!

i faced a problem today....When i put my decal on the headstock,then sprayed with HIGH GlOSS polyourethane,it was obvious that the stick was not part of the surface,different colours i could say....What can i make to solve the problem???should i shoot with a mat polyourethane or add wax to make the whole thing dull,to hide the problem???

thank you.!!

How did you stick the decal down?

i used my printer,printed it, sealed it with a spray,let it dry,then soaked it in water,and immediately put it on head stock....

does it matter that it is high gloss????

how do factories do it???with decals or with other way???i try to find out!

Edited by theodoropoulos

Did you prime the headstock with something or try to stick the dacal to the raw wood?

I use decals but I never try sticking them to Raw wood. Even if its a transparent guitar, I clear them first, sand it all back then stick on the decal before clearing again.

I'm not saying that you can't stick one to raw wood, I'm just suggesting that it may have been your problem.

If you've screwed it up, simply sand it back and try again but a different way. You won't be the first person on this forum to have to sand back a guitar after a screw up. Be grateful it's only the headstock not the whole thing!

Did you prime the headstock with something or try to stick the dacal to the raw wood?

I use decals but I never try sticking them to Raw wood. Even if its a transparent guitar, I clear them first, sand it all back then stick on the decal before clearing again.

I'm not saying that you can't stick one to raw wood, I'm just suggesting that it may have been your problem.

If you've screwed it up, simply sand it back and try again but a different way. You won't be the first person on this forum to have to sand back a guitar after a screw up. Be grateful it's only the headstock not the whole thing!

haha.thank you.....

no i did put it over a well sealed surface...I just wanted to suggest me where do you buy your sticks and put your logo on...i would be very gratefull...

I mean what did you use to attach the decal to the headstock? Did you use super glue or what?

Or it could be a problem with the poly you sprayed. If you used cross linking poly it has to be sprayed onto the guitar within 5 minutes of it being mixed usually or it doesn't cure or bond right. I'd say stick with nitrocelulose it's a lot easier. The brand Cardinal sells some good nitro lacquer.

I mean what did you use to attach the decal to the headstock? Did you use super glue or what?

Or it could be a problem with the poly you sprayed. If you used cross linking poly it has to be sprayed onto the guitar within 5 minutes of it being mixed usually or it doesn't cure or bond right. I'd say stick with nitrocelulose it's a lot easier. The brand Cardinal sells some good nitro lacquer.

i apologize for not explaining well.it was water decal...although the film is very thin,it is still visible through polyurethane!!

It's possible the urethane is simply eating your decal. Do some tests to see if the test pieces react

I use vinyl decals. You can either get someone with a plotter/cutter to make them or you can buy a cheap nod off eBay and make them yourself. I still don't have one so I rely on getting someone to do it for me - for now

I'm still confused, what do you mean by water decal? Is it just that it's like a plastic that sticks to wood when wet? That doesn't make much sense to me.

If you have a company near you that makes things like window vinyls for cars you could bring in your logo and have them printed off in sheets so you would have a lot on one page and just take them off and stick them down when needed.

I'm still confused, what do you mean by water decal?

I'm guessing he is using water slide decal paper.

I have some A4 sheets somewhere ... some are clear, some are white. You can print a logo (or any image) on it using a printer or photocopier; cut out your logo; immerse it in water; and the top very thin plastic sheet slides on to your headstock ... just like those temporary tattoos you could get as a kid.

In my experience you need to shoot A LOT of clear over them to get the edges to disappear. One trick is to cut as close to the edge of your logo as possible so it's less obvious.

I have some A4 sheets somewhere ... some are clear, some are white. You can print a logo (or any image) on it using a printer or photocopier; cut out your logo; immerse it in water; and the top very thin plastic sheet slides on to your headstock ... just like those temporary tattoos you could get as a kid.

In my experience you need to shoot A LOT of clear over them to get the edges to disappear. One trick is to cut as close to the edge of your logo as possible so it's less obvious.

i apologize again fro my bad english..that's what i mean....my problem is that when i put it in water,the colour went off.so i must seal it with a liquid....this liquid made a little mess in my logo..i mean that besides the black color,a red colour appeared....and by putting it the headstock,and shoot with sealer,it was obvious that it is a sticker...i am very dissaponted cose i cannot find a descent decal to my my work correct...really disapointed...i called back the shop i bought them and asked my money back!!!in the photos the result i see is very professional, ....i will look for vinyl decals as the guys here suggested me!! thanks again !!!

• 3 weeks later...

i apologize again fro my bad english..that's what i mean....my problem is that when i put it in water,the colour went off.so i must seal it with a liquid....this liquid made a little mess in my logo..i mean that besides the black color,a red colour appeared....and by putting it the headstock,and shoot with sealer,it was obvious that it is a sticker...i am very dissaponted cose i cannot find a descent decal to my my work correct...really disapointed...i called back the shop i bought them and asked my money back!!!in the photos the result i see is very professional, ....i will look for vinyl decals as the guys here suggested me!! thanks again !!!

I use ink jet water slide decals. After they are printed I spray acrylic enamel clear over the sheet to seal in the ink. This keeps it from running all over the place when put in water.

If you want multicolor decals I doubt you will get the results you are after with vinyl.