Faux Binding Questions

I am building a PRS style guitar, and want to achieve Faux binding. Whats the best way to do this? Use a rabetting bit and cut it in back to the point where you want your carve to go?

I may be taking you up wrong here, But from your post it seems you want to cut a rebate to put binding into, Like a Les Paul.

Faux binding is just masking. Faux as in fake. I use pinstriping tape to achieve it. Just tape all around the edge of the guitar top & then apply your stain. When you pull the tape off it appears that you have a seperate binding.

I have a lefty Prs thread on here, I think I have it in there :D

BTW. Welcome back to the forum.

I want to leave 1/4 inch of maple on my top for faux binding. So i think that I should use a rabetting bit and go around and stop before the horns, and then rout my topography lines starting back from that first cut. That leaves 1/4 inch of maple, and then the steps to carve down to that level.

I want to leave 1/4 inch of maple on my top for faux binding. So i think that I should use a rabetting bit and go around and stop before the horns, and then rout my topography lines starting back from that first cut. That leaves 1/4 inch of maple, and then the steps to carve down to that level.

That is exactly the way I would do it.

SR